Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Utica Steam Excursion 20 years (and three months) ago

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1073118  by brockwaythemusician

Back in 1992 when I was 8 years old my parents took me on the NYSW steam excursion from Utica to Shurburne. This summer my mom was cleaning the bacement and found some relics from that trip. Being that this is a NYSW "past and present" forum I figured I'd share.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46191434@N ... 091676966/
 #1073382  by Alek9997

Wish NYSW still ran those excursions down the Utica Division...But all the passenger equipment has been sold.

In fact, My earliest memory of a real train was riding in one of these excursions (Only it was diesel-powered). I was only a couple years old at the time so I really don't remember too much but apparently we went from either Utica or Sangerfield to Sherburne.

I only got to see the #142 once, running light Southbound through Waterville about 10 years ago.

You didn't happen to take any photos on this trip, did you?

Alek S
 #1073393  by lvrr325

Actually this is the 20th anniversary of them taking over the northern end of the Syracuse branch, if you dig in old Railpaces you can find a photo of the charter excursion from around April or May of that year. So it wasn't much after that the steam engine was based out of Syracuse for those excursions.