Railroad Forums 

• Best places to catch in NJ?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1380250  by BigDell

Question - I haven't ventured up to that part of NJ in quite some time. Am looking to spend a day shooting from Jersey City and north. Where are the best places to catch NYSW action during the day? Is the line through Bogota still busy? Are there better places in Ridgefield Pk etc? Just wondering where I can maximize my time. I don't see NYSW locos as far south anymore as I used to (used to watch them pass under the NEC as I rode into the tunnel each morning). Now everything appears to be NS/CSX. Open to any suggestions where best to do look.
Many thanks
Bigdell
 #1381354  by waldwickrailfan

Legally, Ridgefield Park and Bogota would be best. They usually go westbound in the evening and overnight. The only train that goes that far south on a regular basis is WS4, which runs in the evening
 #1399392  by milkshayke5o8

YUP, i agree with waldwickrailfan River Line is the easiest to railfan at, legally of course. W Shore Ave in Bogota (CSX) and the Ridgefield Park Station (NYSW+CSX). Also, Teaneck's Milton Votee Park you'll mostly see CSX, a few BNSFs, and an occasional UP.
 #1500136  by waldwickrailfan

Dcell wrote:Any idea where and when local switching jobs are operating st present?
On the NYSW, except for one day local (I forget the symbol off the top of my head) which works between MC and PC, and one night local (WS5), which switches all customers between PC and Butler, everything operates east of PARK. There is also SJ1 which operates within Sparta Junction. Occasionally, but not often, it will go east and pick up cars wherever is needed.
 #1505951  by B&M 1227

there's 2 jobs east, 2 jobs west, and a morning clean up job. the 2 westbound jobs sign up around 5pm, the east jobs are staggered tricks, at 1pm and 9pm. the morning job signs up before daybreak and usually handles the SU100 and other miscellaneous work.