Railroad Forums 

• Alcos and other rare locomotives

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#80443  by AmtrakFan

Terry,
I know they had some Alco Slugs from Conrail.

John

#84722  by ACLfan

Whether or not NS received any Alco units from either of its predecessors is somewhat moot at this point in time.

Any inherited units are gone to other places, including Southern Rwy. #4501. Most are still running around in the form of automobile frames, washing machines, steel beams in commercial buildings, and a million-and-one other items.

Some Alco yard switchers, such as T-6 units, are still in use on some shortlines and private operators' lines. However, their existence and whereabouts are extremely hard to track (pardon the pun!)

ACLfan

#85693  by Tadman

If I recall, NS and Sou maintained somewhat seperate images for a while, so by the time most of the fleet was repainted it's likely those NW Centuries were gone - didn't CNW buy the C628's in 1984? Now there was a great loco, especially in yellow/green.

#86788  by Hoosier Joe

Here is some information from the magazine EXTRA 2200 South : on the roster on 1/83 were 31 T6's, a C420,a C425,10 C630'sand 4 RSD12's. On 7/83 the C630's were renumbered 130-139. I think the C628's were sold to C&NW in 1974 to replace FM H16-66's

#106014  by N. Todd

Some Alco yard switchers, such as T-6 units, are still in use on some shortlines and private operators' lines. However, their existence and whereabouts are extremely hard to track (pardon the pun!)
T-6s are actually very easy to track if you know what to look for; the unit in Canada aside.
I think the C628's were sold to C&NW in 1974 to replace FM H16-66's
The C-628s were leased to CNW beginning on 01-Feb-73, sold on 29-Jun-73
From what I remember from years ago, the last Alcos, about ten T-6s and four C-630s were retired in December 1985. However the last C-628s were scrapped in 1992. It's funny how all those six-axle Centurys stayed alive for so long (many without being used since 1982) in places like Naporano, Chrome, QCM, and in Australia, Robe River and Mt. Newman.
 #106234  by Matt Langworthy

Yeah, N&W was already selling it's Alcos before the merger. New York & Lake Erie got a high nose C-425 from N&W in the early '80s. They still use it now. By the way, this unit pulled the passenger train in Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

The Bath & Hammondsport also rosters en ex-N&W Alco S-1, #4. They've had this engine since August, 1970.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#107604  by ACLfan

N. Todd wrote:
T-6s are actually very easy to track if you know what to look for; the unit in Canada aside.
Knowing what to look for is one thing, knowing where to find it is another!

Since the T-6's are "easy to track", as you have stated, then tell all of us where they are today! Double-dare you!

ACLfan