Railroad Forums 

• Railfan access to NS property

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #991943  by SouthernRailway

For those of us who visit train stations in NS territory, are there restrictions against being on NS property? Not the tracks (as I know not to go on tracks, or even go over a fence that surrounds tracks), but how about being around NS buildings around a station, parking areas, sidewalks leading up to tracks, etc.?

I was at the Charlotte NS/Amtrak station, where tracks are blocked off by a fence. I stayed on the "public" side of the fence, on a sidewalk that connected a few small buildings (probably NS-owned) near the main station, and probably 20' from the tracks and a Piedmont passenger train. There were no signs indicating that access was prohibited to the public...yet a conductor from the passenger train leaned out from the train and started yelling at me to leave.

I'll of course fully comply with any NS limitations, but am not interested in dealing with a passenger conductor on a power trip who sets his own rules.

Thanks.
 #992006  by waldwickrailfan

SouthernRailway wrote:For those of us who visit train stations in NS territory, are there restrictions against being on NS property? Not the tracks (as I know not to go on tracks, or even go over a fence that surrounds tracks), but how about being around NS buildings around a station, parking areas, sidewalks leading up to tracks, etc.?

I was at the Charlotte NS/Amtrak station, where tracks are blocked off by a fence. I stayed on the "public" side of the fence, on a sidewalk that connected a few small buildings (probably NS-owned) near the main station, and probably 20' from the tracks and a Piedmont passenger train. There were no signs indicating that access was prohibited to the public...yet a conductor from the passenger train leaned out from the train and started yelling at me to leave.

I'll of course fully comply with any NS limitations, but am not interested in dealing with a passenger conductor on a power trip who sets his own rules.

Thanks.
I know that if your at a train station, unless the RR has a rule about photographers, you are allowed to film any train that comes thru. same rules apply at RR crossings. if you are near a fence, near a yard, unless on a public bridge or road, you are not allowed to photgraph.

in your case, it is totally fine to be at an Amtrak station and film.
 #992452  by Gadfly

If you are AT the fence, you should be fine. You can, of course, go in the station itself; the ticket window is in there. Except for train time, you aren't supposed to go thru the doors and thru the tunnel, or "mole hole" we used to call it. The double doors are probably locked anyhow. Do not go up the ramp outside the fence to 'explore' what used to be the mail room. I wouldn't go past the parking lot and beyond that mail room. There is a "system gang" storage area beyond that and you will find track machines there. NS would be very cross with you for going over there. There is an NS police station next door on the other side, so if you get TOO curious, you might have a problem. This used to be the train crew dormitory. How do I know these things? I was a Southern clerk in the 80's and that was my home terminal. I called crews from their sleep in that building. The half of the waiting room to the south end used to be the Freight Office, and where the Amtrak ticket agent is now was the Yard Office. I spent many an hour on 3rd trick in that very room! Best bet? ASK the ticket guy what you can visit and what you can't. As for that tunnel, well, I spent TOO many nights running up and down that thing setting out/handing up orders to trains. :(

GF