Railroad Forums 

• 5 Killed in Car-Research Train Collision in South Carolina

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #67233  by Trainer

5 Killed in Car-Train Collision in S.C.
Wednesday, November 10, 2004

From Fox News
(http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,138155,00.html)

GRANITEVILLE, S.C. — Five people were killed Wednesday morning when their car collided with a Norfolk Southern research train about 12 miles from the Georgia-South Carolina border.

The train, which consisted of a locomotive and two cars, was traveling 45 mph and collided with the four-door Buick at Ascauga Lake Road Crossing in Graniteville, Capt. Karl McClary of the South Carolina Highway Patrol said.

All five victims were in the car, which was dragged about two-tenths of a mile down the track by the train. McClary said no identification was found with the victims. All five victims appeared to be adults, he said.

Rob Chapman with Norfolk-Southern said no one on the train, which is used to measure the height and curvature of the tracks, was hurt.

McClary said three cars attempted to beat the train at the crossing. The first two made it and the Buick was the third.

There are no crossing arms at the crash site, but the flashing lights were working, McClary and Chapman said.

#69374  by NellsChoo

Another story about people trying to "beat a train". When will they learn??

#75874  by Monkey

Working at a crossing during a power outage one time I saw a school bus get "trapped" at a crossing. The xing had one light in front, one light behind and since there was no power to the motor vehicle lighting, everybody shoved right up to the intersection and the bus was on the tracks, cars in front, cars right behind. I called an approaching light engine to warn him, then reported the driver to the bus company. The car behind the bus was hit by the metal part of the crossing arm although I was yelling at him to get the hell out of there. People are dumb. Dumb hurts.

#75879  by emd_SD_60

You got to learn to accept it, that stupidity is everywhere. :(

#75896  by Noel Weaver

emd_SD_60 wrote:You got to learn to accept it, that stupidity is everywhere. :(
The blocking of a railroad crossing by stalled or stoppedtraffic is NOT acceptable at any location nor at any time. People get killed that way.
I agree with the second part of the above quote, stupidity is everywhere.
Shouldn't be but it is.
Noel Weaver

#75967  by CSX Conductor

As usual, I agree with MR. Weaver.

As far as people who ignore the warning devices and try to save a few minutes by trying to beat the train, I have no pity for them. I wouldn't feel bad for them if they blatently ignore the warning devices, but I would hate to see little kids get hurt as a result of their adults stupidity in trying to beat the train :(

#76100  by charlie6017

Monkey wrote:I saw a school bus get "trapped" at a crossing. The xing had one light in front, one light behind and since there was no power to the motor vehicle lighting, everybody shoved right up to the intersection and the bus was on the tracks, cars in front, cars right behind. I called an approaching light engine to warn him, then reported the driver to the bus company.
I am a school bus driver. Drivers are trained NOT to do those things described by Monkey above. Myself, I could'nt deal with the consequences if something like that happened to me. Of course, I would not ever put myself in such a position. Unfortunately, some people chose to try to cut corners. I hope that bus driver lost his/her job.

#76600  by CSX Conductor

Not only is it foolish, but in many states that scool bus scenario would be illegal. :wink:

#77273  by AmtrakFan

Well can someone say Darwin Award?

John