Railroad Forums 

• NS Shippensburg secondary out of Harrisburg

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #878342  by train2

On my never ending list of new things to do, I have wanted to find out more -- really any -- info about NS's Shippensburg secondary from Harrisburg to Carlsile, Pa. I have noticed a small yard in Harrisburg with a lot of 4 axle power. I have never seen this line in operation.

Anyone know much about when they run? how many days? traffic? customers?

What is the operation method: TWC, industrial track under yard rules, etc?

T2
 #882681  by poppyl

Sorry about the reference to 480 instead of 581. I get the feeder routes into 80 and 81 confused sometimes.

The yard that you see near the highway serves primarily local grain elevators and several industrial customers. At one time it held a lot of traffic for the Naval Supply Center in Mechanicsburg but I believe that traffic has lessened over the years.

The line that you are referring to continues south (or southwest) through Chambersburg and Greencastle to Hagerstown, Maryland. Action on the line has picked up significantly over the past year as the line is part of the Crescent Corridor high speed freight rail project linking the Gulf with the NY/NJ metroplex -- translation lots of stack trains. NS is building a large container facility at Greencastle as I write this that will increase the traffic even more later next year. Right now the heaviest traffic is during the overnight.

BTW -- I believe that the line has been designated the Hagerstown Sub to reflect the increased traffic.

Poppyl
 #882691  by train2

Hi Poppy,

Thanks for your reply. My belief is you are combining two parallel line in that area into one thought. The yard is on the Shippensburg secondary and is a light duty branch line. It runs near and parallel to the Lurgan Sub. that does indeed go to Harerstown and is the busy one with stack trains. The Shippensburg line at one time, in the past, went to Hargerstown but is cut and no longer goes that far.

The branch line operations on the light duty line are what I am interested in. I am trying to determine a time frame of operation out of that yard.

T2
 #882720  by hbgdispatcher

The Shippensburg Secondary connects with the Port Road Branch at Stell, the first interlocking east (south) out of Enola Yard. It is controlled by track warrant up to a point just east of Carlisle, where it becomes the Carlisle Running track (or Carlisle Runner) which is occupied by verbal permission of the dispatcher. The line is controlled by the NS Main Line dispatcher desk. From Stell the line proceeds west to Lemoyne where it runs briefly alongside the NS Lurgan Branch, which it connects to with a short strech of track called the Camp Connection. The small yard on the line is called Shiremanstown Yard in the town of Shiremanstown (under the Rt. 15 bridge) where there are several industries around and where the locals that work this line are based. There are yard jobs/switchers on both 1st and 2nd shifts that work the yard and the industries around the yard and on line down to Mechanicsburg. There is a road local on duty in the morning to work down to Carlisle and back to Shiremanstown. At night there is a road local that leaves Shiremanstown and uses the Camp Connection to work industries on the the Lurgan Branch, mostly PPG at Mt Holly Springs and the Gettysburg Railroad interchange, and another road local that serves as a transfer run from Shiremanstown to Enola and return.
 #882728  by train2

HGBDS,

Thanks and great info. So 1st and 2nd shift, that does tell me most action is during the day.

Any chance you know the symbols for those jobs? Since there are so many "Hxxx" jobs all around Harrisburg it would be good to know which ones work that line exclusively.

T2