Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Line

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #3800  by Trackbolt

How much traffic does NS run up the Lehigh Line through Allentown and Lehighton PA? Is there any originating business in this area now that Bethlehem Steel Works is gone? I know this was a major source of traffic. Did they downgrade the Buffalo line in favor of the Lehigh Line and how do they route the Buffalo bound trains?

Trackbolt :wink:

#4432  by RR_Fan

Trackbolt,
The Lehigh Line from Allentown to Lehighton boasts up to around 10 trains. The NS 40/41T run over it usually in the early morning on week days and usually 5 PM on Saturdays. The NS H66 runs to Lehighton to pick up interchange cars from the R&N PILE and to sometimes interchange cars with the H78. The H78 runs from Allentown to Hazelton. The train recrews in Hazelton while they are there. Canadian Pacific 166/167 and 410/411 operate on the Lehigh Line also. I am not sure of the exact times of these trains but they do run daily as far as I know. I am not sure if any trains run south of the Walnutport Area to serve any industries that maybe down that way. Also, don't hold me responsible for wrong times on the trains...I usually only foam there on the weekends. :wink: :D :P

Here are a few links to pictures of the trains I spotted around the area.

NS H78 at Packerton.

This picture is at Packerton with the old CNJ or LV building in the background.

NS H78 at Lehighton.

This picture is of the H78 at CP-Lehighton. The Ex-CR SD50's are being taken to a leasing company after being held at Pittston/Riverside Yard on the Reading and Northern Railroad for the past 2 years.

Take Care.
Jeff
 #7990  by obsessed railfan

I think the D&H trains come after the 40t/41t and the h78 clear.
Usually mid-morning. Usually. The h78 also serves the CHR interchange
at Palmerton and the NDC interchange in Northampton.
 #13518  by obsessed railfan

Does anyone know times or schedules for the NS H66 and H78 that run
on the Lehigh Line I've heard they come early,before all the D&H trains
come through.

#13519  by obsessed railfan

By the way, regarding the CP/D&H reply previously, I've heard they can still come after 1PM. Hmm... still can't getb the H78/H66 yet though............. :(

#24516  by JJMDiMunno

Does anyone here know the radio frequency used by Lehigh Line trains at CP PHILLIPSBURG right by the NJ / PA border? Also, what dispatcher controls this route at this time?

Thanks in advance.

Mike DiMunno

#24935  by n01jd1

The frequency should be the old Conrail Road 2, 161.070 unless there have been changes that I am unaware of.

JJMDiMunno wrote:Does anyone here know the radio frequency used by Lehigh Line trains at CP PHILLIPSBURG right by the NJ / PA border? Also, what dispatcher controls this route at this time?

Thanks in advance.

Mike DiMunno

#26296  by NsNscalerailfaN

How much traffic goes through the Pattenburg Tunnel? I would assume around 20 trains/day but correct me if i'm wrong...I know about TV211/212/213/214 but I dont know about other traffic that much...

#26401  by njt4172

Also don't forget that the NS 12T/13T also run via Lehighton and Jim Thorpe, Pa...

Steve

#28193  by obsessed railfan

Are you sure about that? I thought they used the Buffalo Line

#28576  by njt4172

Nothing uses the Buffalo Line anymore....They occasionally detour if there is a derailment, but lately they have been using the LV and Southern Tier...
 #29376  by JakeS

13T/12T are Buffalo-Enola/Enola-Buffalo via Binghamton. NS Southern Tier Buff-Bing. D&H Sunbury Line Bing-Sunbury. NS Buffalo Line Sunbury-H'burg. They may have been routed through Allentown when D&H and R&N were having thier weekly derailments back in the spring. If needed, these trains usually reroute over the northern portion of the Buffalo Line.