Railroad Forums 

• "21st Century Steam" NS Steam Excursions.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #822746  by Espee9180

Norfolk Southern coming back into the mainline steam business.

"NORFOLK, VA., and CHATTANOOGA, TENN. – Norfolk Southern Corporation is in negotiations with the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum with regard to the operation of a limited schedule of steam locomotive event appearances and passenger excursions beginning later this year."

http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/ ... again.html
 #822773  by blockline4180

Amazing! Never thought I would live to see the day!
Now lets hope it paves that way for NJ and PA steam trips on NS in the future!
 #822789  by charlie6017

blockline4180 wrote:Now lets hope it paves that way for NJ and PA steam trips on NS in the future!
Absolutely! I would definitely drive down there for photo ops! Keep the fingers crossed!

Charlie
 #823176  by rwk

This is great news, as for the past 15 years there has been virtually zero steam trips on NS even by outside parties. It will be great to see steam pounding the NS mainlines again, even if it is only in Tennessee, Georgia for now. But, it would be nice to see NS relax the rules a bit and allow some public steam trips on it's lines in PA, NJ. Even allow old 1920's 30's steel heavyweight open window friction bearing coaches on some trips which NS has seemed to hate due to the risk of bearings overheating and possible breakdown on the mainline, causing freight train delays and PO'ed customers. Good thing David Goode is gone. Wick Moorman is the man for bringing it back, even in a limited form for now. Robert and W. Graham Claytor are smiling in their graves right now. I wanna go to TVRM sometime. Stay overnight in the Chattanooga Choo Choo. I was just at Steamtown and rode the Delaware Water Gap excursion, but we got cheated out of steam most of the way because a truck hit a bridge south of Moscow, knocking it out of alignment, so they only took CN #3254 as far as Moscow, cut it off, and hooked up the Reading FP7 diesels for the rest of the trip and #3254 returned by itself to Scranton. TVRM seems like the "Steamtown" of the South. But, why aren't they running any "Steam All the Way" excursions this year?
 #823329  by SR4501

I am happy as well!!! I heard and posted about this 2 years ago on another forum. For anyone's information, the steam program as of right now is "Southern Locomotives". It is possible this is because the new CEO and his pals, are big time Southern Steam fans, and the TVRM has the engines (including 4501) just for the trips. All steam engines will have diesel assistance via the F's or whatever power is available. As for steam in the East, it is possible but highly doubtful as of right now. I think NS wants to see the public's response in the "local are trackage" and take it from there. I do not see #611 being restored at anytine or the #1218 but who knows. Maybe NS will want to "inquire" about PRR #1361 someday as well. For now, let's give NS a thumbs up for at least bringing back steam even if it is Southern and on limited schedule! :-D
For those that have not been to or have been to the TVRM, now is the time to go down there and show your support for them! The TVRM is an awessome place to visit! :-D
Hey CSX... Might wanna follow in NS footsteps!!! :P
 #837952  by daylight4449

blockline4180 wrote:Amazing! Never thought I would live to see the day!
Now lets hope it paves that way for NJ and PA steam trips on NS in the future!
well, what about MA? i mean, jersey and PA get all the fun :-D
 #837953  by daylight4449

SR4501 wrote:I am happy as well!!! I heard and posted about this 2 years ago on another forum. For anyone's information, the steam program as of right now is "Southern Locomotives". It is possible this is because the new CEO and his pals, are big time Southern Steam fans, and the TVRM has the engines (including 4501) just for the trips. All steam engines will have diesel assistance via the F's or whatever power is available. As for steam in the East, it is possible but highly doubtful as of right now. I think NS wants to see the public's response in the "local are trackage" and take it from there. I do not see #611 being restored at anytine or the #1218 but who knows. Maybe NS will want to "inquire" about PRR #1361 someday as well. For now, let's give NS a thumbs up for at least bringing back steam even if it is Southern and on limited schedule! :-D
For those that have not been to or have been to the TVRM, now is the time to go down there and show your support for them! The TVRM is an awessome place to visit! :-D
Hey CSX... Might wanna follow in NS footsteps!!! :P
ya, if CSX wants a good image, the'd better trup NS with a bigger steam program
 #838444  by habu

I love it! I am a relocated yankee and as I understand it; these steam trips will be running right out of my local area.
 #846080  by habu

This is not confirmed but I am hearing that the locomotives/trains will be dispatched out of Knoxville,Tn., to Middlesboro Ky, and Asheville, N.C. Sunday runs.
 #846251  by daylight4449

habu wrote:This is not confirmed but I am hearing that the locomotives/trains will be dispatched out of Knoxville,Tn., to Middlesboro Ky, and Asheville, N.C. Sunday runs.
so we can assume it's US army #610? southern #4501 and #630 couldn't be ready so soon, could they?