Railroad Forums 

• Roanoke RailCam

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #807735  by Earle Baldwin

I don't know if this has been posted previously but here is the link to the Roanoke RailCam which looks over the NS main in downtown Roanoke:

http://128.173.197.94/railcamax.htm

It's live video and the image quality is pretty good. Patterns of action are fairly typical for a freight railroad. There are times when you risk fossilization waiting for a train and other periods when they come one right after another.

Enjoy,

Earle
 #812736  by photorailfan

This is usefull as i plan on venturing into virginia later this year. Thanks for the Link. I see it has a quick refresh rate.
 #820150  by Earle Baldwin

I think so. The only change I've noticed during the course of the day is the image goes to black and white after nightfall.
 #822358  by habu

Pretty cool cam. I use as a screen saver/desktop background on my computer at work. Pretty good traffic.
 #898772  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

To the host of this Rail Cam..

First of all thank you for the high res/refresh..
To answer a question asked above, along with my own. Why is it nessecary for this cam to switch to BW/IR at sundown? I have noticed a few occasions when this did not happen till much later in the night and the view was much better. The signal colors were clear, as was all else of interest to rail fans. If this camera is being used for other than just rail fanning than the answer is understandable. But just a question out of pure curiousity.

Thanks,

Jim
 #899346  by aquadan005

Kinda sucks right now, cameras facing the sun and its sundown!
 #903962  by drcrf93

I happened find this railcam today, very cool. Is it located right near a yard or something? Both trains I have seen on there today appear to be switching. Nice how you can see the colors of the signals at night.
 #905611  by Mattamtrakpepsican

Hey
i have been looking at this cam lately, but yesterday while i was watching (im from the uk so this may be the reason) it went off, and the page keeps crashing everytime i load it, i have tried 3 computers and all do the same.
Anyone else having this problem?
Thanks
Matt
 #905766  by toolmaker

I just tried it, the webpage is there but the cam is not loading.