Railroad Forums 

• Is the Harriman Medal Contest rigged?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #677478  by donredhead

Seems so if Because the Gold Harriman Medal has been awarded to the NS and the N&W almost since its existance. Someone should investigate this.
 #678710  by Gadfly

If you LIVED the NS "culture" the way employees have to you would understand! They have NO tolerance for accidents. No sympathy for even the simplest mistake! Even if it causes NO harm to people or property. Every morning, ALL NS employees have a safety briefing. NO exceptions. A General Conduct and Safety Rule is read EVERY single morning! NO exceptions!!!!! Each employee then must engage in a series of stretching exercises each morning. He is part of a SAFETY TEAM who must do a monthly "SAFETY SURVEY" once each month. ANY alleged safety violation is written up and filed. Get THREE of them, YOU WILL BE DISMISSED EVEN IF THE VIOLATION RESULTS IN NO ACTUAL ACCIDENT OR INCIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Each employee lives in FEAR on NS of being run off! It is a frightening environment, but it is apparently VERY effective!!!!! NS says, "ALL accidents CAN be prevented"! BELIEVE it!
If you don't know about NS and its Safety Program, then you have no reason to comment! I am not defending it, but their Safety Program is frightening but effective,and their record is probably deserved with regard to Harriman. I LIVED their "safety": I KNOW about it!!!!!

Gadfly
 #680036  by njt5140

Gadfly wrote:If you LIVED the NS "culture" the way employees have to you would understand! They have NO tolerance for accidents. No sympathy for even the simplest mistake! Even if it causes NO harm to people or property. Every morning, ALL NS employees have a safety briefing. NO exceptions. A General Conduct and Safety Rule is read EVERY single morning! NO exceptions!!!!! Each employee then must engage in a series of stretching exercises each morning. He is part of a SAFETY TEAM who must do a monthly "SAFETY SURVEY" once each month. ANY alleged safety violation is written up and filed. Get THREE of them, YOU WILL BE DISMISSED EVEN IF THE VIOLATION RESULTS IN NO ACTUAL ACCIDENT OR INCIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Each employee lives in FEAR on NS of being run off! It is a frightening environment, but it is apparently VERY effective!!!!! NS says, "ALL accidents CAN be prevented"! BELIEVE it!
If you don't know about NS and its Safety Program, then you have no reason to comment! I am not defending it, but their Safety Program is frightening but effective,and their record is probably deserved with regard to Harriman. I LIVED their "safety": I KNOW about it!!!!!

Gadfly
And of course all mileage jobs work 12 hours to make up Harriman time, so if you get somewhere in decent time you rot unitil your times almost up!