Railroad Forums 

• Panhandle Trackage Rights

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #671394  by lab8

NS has trackage rights on the Ohio Central through Newark, OH. I have seen unit trains of coal headed both east and west, but mostly east. The east bound trains stop on a siding just west of Newark for long periods. Where are these trains headed and why do they linger so long on the siding?

Larry Brough
 #700468  by SlowFreight

More precisely, these are haulage rights. NS hands off complete trains moving westbound from Pittsburgh and eastbound out of Columbus. OC crews the trains. I could speculate several reasons for the layover, but most likely I would guess that NS crews are dropping the freights off there and taking a jitney back to their terminal, and the trains are simply waiting for an OC crew to pick them up (or vice versa). Where else might be long enough to park a unit train between downtown and Newark?
 #1615263  by Gilbert B Norman

The derailment incident at E. Palestine, OH, involving an Eastward train from "roundly" St. Louis (Madison) to "roundly" Pittsburgh (Conway) has prompted me to wonder just how many East-West routes NS has available.

My first instinct was why wasn't the train simply routed over the Panhandle, or otherwise, the PRR route of the "Spirit of St. Louis" and the "Penn-Texas" (and I would guess, the "Pan" is the Eastern end of the PRR; the Handle this line St. Louis-Pgh). E. Palestine is not on the Panhandle, but rather on the PRR line now used by Amtrak's Capitol Limited.

Now, from reviewing this topic, it appears that some portions of this line, while intact, are in the hands of Short Lines.

Of course, we should note that Topper (NS) has several other lines to handle traffic to and from St Louis- namely the Wabash (interchanging with the Nickel Plate at Ft Wayne and the NYC near Bryan OH, and NKP (trackage over the NYC from STL). But it would still seem the Panhandle is the only means to handle East-West traffic from both Indianapolis or Columbus.

So, if the Panhandle has been chopped up and in the hands of Short Lines along with their varying FRA Track Classes, how does Topper efficiency handle East-West Columbus and Indianapolis traffic?
 #1615377  by Gilbert B Norman

At the Derailment topic, Mr. URR notes:
urr304 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 pm I am sorry Mr. Norman but the Panhandle no longer exists as a through route. It was downgraded decades ago during the Conrail sterilization/distillation. There are chunks missing.
Noted, Mr. URR

Certainly seems that Topper has decided he has other routings to "Serve The Nation", as I know the "Fort Wayne" has been chopped up, and now you have reported that "The Panhandle" is also same.

For East-West originating in Columbus, I guess he still has the CCC&StL to Cleveland - or did "that darned Cat" claim that line as her own?

But I'm at a loss how either Hoofs or Paws can expediently handle traffic originating at or consigned to Indianapolis.
 #1615409  by urr304

Hi Mr. Norman,
NS has the line to Sandusky from Columbus and could route where it crosses the NKP or at end of line with the former NYC main. Yes the cat has the Big Four and uses it quite frequently especially the upper northeast from Cleveland [Berea] to Greenwich where it connects to the B&O [which they had to reinstall double track]. in Cleveland, CSX uses NYC's Cleveland Short Line after Collinwood and NS is coming up PRR's C&P and getting onto former NYC's Lake Shore line in downtown.

I think PC was even backing off the Panhandle and using the Big Four routing up from Columbus to either go east onto Fort Wayne or route to NYC main at Berea.
 #1615440  by Gilbert B Norman

urr304 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:19 pm I think PC was even backing off the Panhandle and using the Big Four routing up from Columbus to either go east onto Fort Wayne or route to NYC main at Berea.
Sure; on that point, Mr. URR.

After all, that was the Penn Central, or an NYC-PRR combination.

But when we ended up with Conrail being chopped up along the lines of Chessie got the Central, and Topper got (or what was left of it) the Pennsy (and Oh WOW; he also got what was left of the ERIE), this would have appeared to adversely affect shippers in both Indianapolis and Columbus accustomed to having their traffic expediently move East or West, which must now move over rails Northward to connect with an East-West route.

Bulk commodities? Well who cares - just give us a rate!!! But how about high value Containers and vehicles?
 #1615480  by QB 52.32

Mr. Norman, pre- and post-Conrail-chop-up, understanding the (evolving) Indy and Columbus markets by type and demands and how rail fits into those demands, if there was even any adverse affect, it was meaningless.

In general terms for rail, domestic containers carrying small-shipments (packages and less-than-truckload) are about reliable expedience "by the hour" while containers hauling international and domestic freight (of all kinds) are about reliable transit "by the commercial day", as is the finished vehicle market.