Railroad Forums 

• Stupid, stupid people.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #595226  by iceman977th

Me and dad went out and about last night to see what we could catch on the Junction, nothing much. We went over to WV hoping to see why the CW60AC's and the pair of ES's that came highballing up the Kanawaha sub from Russell were waiting. Nothing, we went over to the NS line. Passed it up and waited, nothing. Got back in the car and came back across the tracks heading back for the CSX tracks, and looking up the line, headlights appeared. I jumped out and got the camera rolling as the coal approached.

However, some people must not have peripheral vision or something. About 150 feet from the crossing, a pickup came barreling across at about 45mph. The train wasn't moving fast, but still, the lights are on (no gates), you should stop. Oh well, one moron down.

While I was focusing on the conductor to see if I could get a wave, out of nowhere a van comes barreling in front of me just as fast as the truck, less than 10 feet from the front of the engines. I'm surprised the engineer didn't lay on the horn, even though he was right on the crossing. A few miles an hour faster, and the train would have taken the van, and possibly me, out.

I have video of it, and I'll post it up when I get home. Just wanted to share this story. >_>
 #595545  by EMTRailfan

Unfortunately, stupidity is one of those diseases that doesn't have a cure, and it can be fatal.
 #596917  by Gilbert B Norman

While not relating to NS or any predecessor road, idiots are even endemic here in affluent "Land of the Burlingtons' DuPage County.

During July 2007, I was taking my Daily walk from my home @18.75 to the West Hinsdale (17.85) station and return. since this was a "scorcher', I needed a short rest at West Hinsdale. While there, the gates go down and here comes a WB BNSF/METRA passenger (there is usually "something" by every fifteen minutes on the so-called 'racetrack") not scheduled to stop. From the West, here comes a runner - big deal as there is no obesity epidemic around here.

What became a big deal was when this idiot was not about to break stride and obey the X-ing signals ($500 fine around here for those who don't). He proceeded to X not fifty yards ahead of this oncoming 45mph train (it would have been 70mph had it not been for ongoing trackwork). Needless to say, all the BNSF Engineer could do was "lay on the horn".

Oh well, even if they earn 'several hundred a year" and one would think have a lot to live for, there are still idiots on the loose.
 #598505  by Gadfly

I saw some OTHER stupid people fooling around on a trestle last Sunday in Augusta, GA! :( They were even lying down between the gauge and using the railhead as a "pillow". They were just having the best old time not realizing..............................................

For an old railroad guy like me, it was tearing ME UP!!!!!!

Gadfly