Railroad Forums 

• Tresspasser struck and killed in Knoxville

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #575295  by habu

Local news reported a young man was struck and killed by a train today here in the Knoxville area. I didn't catch if it was on NS or CSX property, but what really make me take notice was that the tresspasser was wearing headphones and was struck from behind. The crew did sound the warning but apparently the tresspasser couldn't hear anything beyond his music. Hmmm?
 #582309  by RussNelson

People wear them when walking or running on rail-trails. I can never tell how loud I have to shout to be heard over their music when I pass them on a bicycle. On Saturday, on the South Hill Recreation Way, a big guy was jogging down the middle of the path, didn't hear me, didn't hear me, and when I finally rode slowly up even with him, he grunted in surprise, and jumped off to the side.

I don't understand why we coddle idiots. Let 'em die. I mean, it's sad and a tragedy, but the sadness and tragedy is that they're that stupid in the first place, and that nobody cared enough about them to help them become wiser.
Last edited by RussNelson on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #584320  by jgallaway81

Natural Selection.

As for the worst place to wear headphones.... what the he** was the idiot doing in the danger zone of active tracks in teh first place?
 #592021  by kf7strng

Maybe its only the people that enjoy trains that are aware of just how dangerous it is to be around them? I like to chase trains. I follow the locals and shortlines in my area, and I even have a scanner that lets me know what there intentions are, wether it be a move, a stop, or a problem. This is all during the day of course, as I have enough common sense to stay the hell away at night because it's harder to see people.

I liked the other users Natural Selection comment. The (mentally) weak go before the mentally sound! Now, that being said, a friend of mine (who is a maintainer for NS) told me in June that an NS train had to go into Emergency because they thought they hit a girl that was walking along side the train in lock haven,Pa. She didn't even hear the train COMING! No awards for the person who guesses why she couldn't hear it? HEADPHONES!!

He said when the engones passed her they couldn't see her in the mirrors anymore.(she probablt SH*T when she saaw what was beside her and took off!) Because i turns out they didn't hit her, found no reason to believe they did. But SOME people just make me wonder...