Railroad Forums 

• NS and NORAC?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #563903  by JJMDiMunno

Hey everyone,
I'm hearing from various sources that NS has done away with NORAC operating rules on it's system. Is this true? I don't routinely pay much attention to NS operations outside of South Jersey (which is CSAO territory), but I have folks along the Harrisburg Line telling me they're hearing Track Authorities being transmitted now instead of NORAC form D's.

I'm just curious...mostly curious as to how this might affect CSAO operations, which IS more in my territory. Since this will have both railroads with interests in CSAO off the NORAC system, I'm mostly curious if Conrail will also give up NORAC...but that's a question for another forum :)

Thanks in advance guys.

Mike DiMunno
 #563980  by Anchorman

No more NORAC (or Form D's) on NS Harrisburg Div. Other divisions will follow. New rules went into effect yesterday 8/4/08.
 #564280  by IRN750

Conrail territory will continue to use Norac rules and form D's on Conrail territory so you should not see any changes down in your neck of the woods. NS crews will now have to carry NS Rules and Norac rules for CR area.
 #565129  by gp80mac

Yep, soon all of NS will be under a unified hillbilly set of rules. The rules aren't that different - but it adds a lot more crap on the radio. Oh well, this is progress I guess.
 #628147  by gp80mac

Are you kidding? From what I've been told from the old heads, when they made NORAC they actually took people that used the rules and brought them together. You can tell this new NS unified operating rulebook was rushed out and had limited input from operating guys. Why else would you replace APPROACH and STOP boards with scuba and barbershop signs? There was such confusion (and still is) with some of these rules. So much of it is about dark territory, but we have limited amounts of it up here. And now I have to carry TWO sets of rulebooks with me, since I operate on BOTH NS and NORAC roads. Makes a lot of sense...
 #628186  by Jayjay1213

I have been qualified on 4 different sets of rule books and never had any problems with NORAC. It to me was simple and straight forward. What about it do you think sucks?
 #628357  by hbgdispatcher

I too think the NORAC rules were much more "user friendly", especially when it comes to moving M of W equipment around.
 #633175  by Engineer Spike

I am surprised that they did not come up with a new unified rule book, with CSX. This would be useful in the east, especially with Conrail Shared Assets and Amtrak. I was told by a rules examiner that the new CSX book is based on NORAC because the head rules guy is from Conrail.
The examiner also pointed out that standard rule books have a down side. They do not have the flexibility to handle a company's individual needs. This is why GCOR roads have so many rules which are in the special instructions. The same goes for CROR. It is approved by Transport Canada. It takes a governmental act to change a rule. The roads using this book have large special instructions to cover their unique needs too.