Railroad Forums 

• TTCA ALCo FA-1

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #548920  by Bucyrus6150

I was out today in Clarks Summit, PA. (on the CP line between Scranton & Binghamton), I saw an NS coming, heading south towards Scranton, and as it got closer what I though was a boxcar behind the NS C40-9w and SD70 turned out to be a TTCA ALCo FA-1m (?)(According to the pictures I found on railpictures.net). I asked my friend to help me track it down online and found out that it was for sale not too long ago as #616. Does anyone know where it was heading or who could've bought it?
 #550244  by photorailfan

ex Long Island Railroad FA-1 logo.jpg
I was at Saratgoa Springs on June14th when i spotted and photographed this engine heading south from Montreal. There's hardly any info online for it. The only info i got was that it was an ex Long Island Railroad alco with it's origional number.
 #550245  by photorailfan

This was my first shot of it. The train stopped shortly at the station so i was very fortunate to have gotten the shot.
ex Long Island Railroad FA-1.jpg
 #551116  by K4Pacific

Why that would be on it's way to the West Virgina Rail Museum. That engine is apparently one of the last, if not only, former WM engines left in existance. Some else can do the number trace. But I did get that information off the WV Rail Web Group. Now this trip happened fast.
 #551147  by photorailfan

I don't know about it's heritage being western maryland but i did photograph number 617 in Danbury connectucut a few years ago still in long island railroad livery. I would think just the number alone would give a hint of the heritage of 616. I can put a shot of 617 on here.
 #551167  by Kuyahoora Valley

I think you're thinking of another engine...the WM 302 was in Colonie and left in March to go to West Virginia. It went to Kenwood Yard and at last report is still there.

Here's a photo from last August:
Attachments:
FA 302.jpg
FA 302.jpg (141.09 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
 #551225  by alcoAL

Here's 616's origins:
616 MODEL: ALCO FA1 S/N: 76675
ACQUIRED: 7/28/73 BUILD DATE: 2/49
ORIGIN: SPS 860A-1, SP&S 860, Burlington Northern 4108
In excursion service on the Quebec Central.
To Touristiques des Chaudieres Appalaches 616 in 2001.

And 617:
617 MODEL: ALCO FA1 S/N: 75425
ACQUIRED: 4/29/74 BUILD DATE: 10/47
ORIGIN: New Haven 0428, Penn Central 1333
Traded in to GE in U23B purchase in 1971.
Re-powered with Detroit Diesel in 1987.
Now owned by Danbury Railway Museum, Danbury, CT. In October 2000 it had its trucks removed for use on an RS11 and as of May 2005 still sits on cribbing.
 #551245  by K4Pacific

And thank you for the correction on that WM Unit. Sometimes I should look before I leap. I thought it odd that it was announced to come south by the WV Group and here we are talking about something too similar. By and by get them running or painted. At leasy they are preserved, as opposed to C628s (possibly one in Mexico).
 #551323  by PW team track

Here is the 616 in better days, back on the LIRR. The slide was taken July 5, 1982 in Montauk,NY.
 #554195  by Graham Line Rider

As of Wednesday morning, July 9, 2008, she is sitting on the repair / breaker siding at Campbell Hall, NY. If anyone wants to take a picture, the best access is via the Metro North Commuter Parking lot on Egbertson Rd.

Has anyone gone to the website listed on the side of the engine?

Thanks.