Railroad Forums 

• NS west of Knoxville

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #537034  by habu

I live close to the NS mainline between Knoxville and Loudon Tn. Seems like I don't see/hear as many trains as I did a year or two ago. I don't really keep count, just a observation. Is traffic down in this region?

#541199  by csxwannabe

I live in Jellico and there's a NS line running through town that's been dead for about a month. Sure, it's not been busy for over a year but lately I don't think I've seen a single train. Hope it picks back up.
 #593598  by ssmith1627

I live just across Rutledge Pike (11W) from the John Sevier yard. Things sure don't seem to have slowed down in that general area. We see trains in and out night and day including the intermodal stack trains. The activity over in that yard is 24/7. It's probably a mile away as the crow flies so certainly doesn't bother us -- we like trains anyway.

Is there a schedule they follow for the trains coming in and out of the yard ? I've not paid close enough attention to realize anything like that but it would be interesting to know. There are several places we stop to watch the trains pass with our 3-year-old.

My first post here so hope you don't mind the questions of a newbie !

Steve
 #624554  by habu

i do enjoy hearing those freight trains role past my house. Between Boyd and Lenoir City the traffic brings a variety of power.
 #625900  by habu

My short commute to work allows me to drive along the tracks from Lenoir City to Farragut. When the signals show possible traffic I stop and enjoy.