Railroad Forums 

• Pokey Reroutes

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #454561  by NCPhotographer

I had heard that reroutes were supposed to start this week because of construction on the Pokey. The same source had also said half of the reroutes were supposed to be via Asheville, NC. Does anybody have any idea what that is about and the route those trains will take?

#454578  by ziggy44

They are supposed to start rerouting this week but haven’t so far. I work VA Div. Roanoke to Bluefield and Roanoke to Bristol. They are supposed to reroute 2 trains through Asheville but not sure which 2. Might be a stack train or either the 218 which is a pig train.

#454886  by NS212

Have you heard what trains are supposed to head up the Valley to Shenandoah?

#454890  by NCPhotographer

Somebody has mentioned 17m and 18m. I have also heard mention of 218.

#454933  by ziggy44

Just got back from Bluefield, went up on 233 and doubled back on 148. Pokey guys said 194, 234, 18m and 274 are supposed to reroute, these are all east bound trains. Not sure when and if they will for sure. We still have the option of running trains on the Whitethorn side which is the Old Virginian side of the river that they use to run coal trains on going east. There is equipment and materials at the east end of Cowen tunnel so I guess the tunnels are a for sure thing.

#454982  by NS212

I know 274 and 194 are a good possibility. They rerouted those thru the valley back in the summer. I don't remember why. 234 seems logical too, I've heard him through here before rerouted because of a derailment sometime ago.

#455488  by ziggy44

They cut 4 trains yesterday on the Bluefield to Roanoke route. Tunnels scheduled to start Oct.22 in full construction. Not sure where they are going to reroute trains? I have heard different speculations but no one knows for sure. The trains I know of that were cut 147,194,185 and 17M. I saw on the line up they were running make up jobs though I85 and I17 which is 185 and 17M make up symbols. It is going to be a interesting mess for a while. I will try to keep everyone posted.

#455590  by NS212

Thanks for the info. Any idea where those trains will be going since they have been cut from Roanoke-Bluefield?

#455769  by lakeshoredave

Is this project for the new double stack route from Columbus to the Tidewater ports?

#455787  by Rockin' Roller

lakeshoredave wrote:Is this project for the new double stack route from Columbus to the Tidewater ports?
Yes.

#458405  by NS212

Heard a little more information. 194 and 185 have been annulled. There are two new trains on the Pokey 188/189, which serve as basically road locals. 147/148, 217/218, 233/234 all still run the pokey. Not sure on 274. Grain traffic is supposed to be rerouted next week. Not sure where to though. Ziggy, if you're around, have you heard anything else?

#458626  by lakeshoredave

How much more traffic will the Pokey gain due to this project?

#458649  by ziggy44

Cowen tunnel is suppose to start today Mon. 22. The 194 is still running every day and will continue as far as I have heard, 274 still running also, came in on that last night. The only trains that have been cut is 17m/18m and 185 so far. The 188/189 will be run three times a week, make up 185 and extra freight is all they are. As far as road V29 and V34 road locals they have changed their reporting times, all road locals start with a V on VA Div.. As far as I have heard things are going to be really slow on Pokey, side losing a lot of traffic not gaining any, Central Div. will be gaining the most traffic.

#458714  by NS212

I figured that the Central Div. would get the most. I guess the hiring in Shenandoah may have something to do with more traffic coming. They wouldn't be able to handle much more traffic with the amount of crews they have available now.

#486060  by Conrail Tweety

ziggy44 wrote:Just got back from Bluefield, went up on 233 and doubled back on 148. Pokey guys said 194, 234, 18m and 274 are supposed to reroute, these are all east bound trains. Not sure when and if they will for sure. We still have the option of running trains on the Whitethorn side which is the Old Virginian side of the river that they use to run coal trains on going east. There is equipment and materials at the east end of Cowen tunnel so I guess the tunnels are a for sure thing.
Is there any news on the progress of the tunnel projects for Cowen, Eggleston, and Pembroke?