Railroad Forums 

• NS Purchases A-B-B-A F Units

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#353789  by General

Off Pending wrote:
General wrote:
HEMI_HARVESTER wrote:
General wrote:Give them some time with some of these engineers and these engines will be torn up like the rest of the NS fleet.
You must be a EX-Con-Rail guy to talk like that
The stupid were plentiful down there in jersey.
No more than were found at TSA or the Coast Guard! ;-)
I don't know about that. they can be pretty stupid down ther at croxton, just look at most of the yardies

#353867  by HEMI_HARVESTER

[/quote]

I never made it to engineer because i left for a better life in a less expensive area better pay better health better benfits and better more competent coworkers. I am very well aware of the tapes and what they record and dont record. New jersey might be ex-CR territory but the majority of these foolish engineers came off the NS[/quote]

WOW, you seem very bitter at the NS. Glad your moving on, we really don't need any more experts, that he already have. You sound like you would make a good trainmaster!,it you can't do it supervise those who can.
No run along I think I here you mommy calling you..Its time for Star Trek.

#354166  by Off Pending

HEMI_HARVESTER wrote: WOW, you seem very bitter at the NS. Glad your moving on, we really don't need any more experts, that he already have. You sound like you would make a good trainmaster!,it you can't do it supervise those who can.
No run along I think I here you mommy calling you..Its time for Star Trek.
Oh c'mon ... do we really need to go there?

If GH is who I think he is (account the TSA and Coast Guard comment I made earlier), I worked with him many times and was an excellent conductor.

As for his talk of the yard guys. Well ... I'm still working for NS, and I'll refrain from saying anything that might get misconstrued and pinned to a bathroom wall at a later time. :-)

#372571  by jgallaway81

I still work for the NS, formerly out of Harrisburg which took me to North Jersey on truck trains to Croxton and ERail and freight to Oak Island.

I now work out of Altoona on the Pittsburgh Division as an engineer trainee. Working the loacl that shifts the Juniata Back Shop thrice a week, I caught the 4275 coming out of the paint barns on March 2nd. Looked nice, and I bet will look even sharper with a set.

As for the reason Why NS would by the 4-axle units... my guess is that with as much trackage around that is restricted to four-axles, they want executive power that is capable of SYSTEM-wiode travel, NO restrictions.

As for the rebuilds, the guys @ JBS I talked to stated the same thing about gutting & rebuilding as GP-38-2s

#373096  by Engineer James

Get any photos?
 #373371  by Trackbolt

I know those two A units... That flat pilot is a dead giveaway to the units that Morrison Knudson rebuilt for Marc in the early 80's. They started life as B&O F-7's. Labled F9PH, they are essentially GP-38-2's with the naturally aspirated 645-16 prime mover, modern main alternator, electrical gear and GP control stand. There were even prime moverless, traction motorless Cab Control F's to go along with them. I think Marc still has at least one Cab Control F. I had come across a MK operaters manual for them at a show many years ago. They were rebuilt to GP-38-2 standards. They rolled a lot of miles for Marc in commuter service. There was a Cummins diesel genset in the rear behind the prime mover. By the looks of the small exaust at the rear roof area of the units it is still there. I understand they will feature the Brosnan era Southern Railway black, white and gold paint scheme. I like the similar Sou. Ry green better but I think that either of the schemes is a great tip of the hat to Southern. Way to go NS!

Tony M.

HEP

#392083  by emtpjimd

I noticed from the photos I have seen that the A unit(s) have HEP....my question is why the B units, which have a lot more space, don't have HEP generators? The pics in Railpace show quite a long train for one genset. Also, with reliability issues over time, it would seem like a set in each unit would provide some redundancy in the event of a failure. Any reasons ?
 #392948  by Bryanjones

emtpjimd wrote:I noticed from the photos I have seen that the A unit(s) have HEP....my question is why the B units, which have a lot more space, don't have HEP generators? The pics in Railpace show quite a long train for one genset. Also, with reliability issues over time, it would seem like a set in each unit would provide some redundancy in the event of a failure. Any reasons ?
the HEP sets are not an issue because the NS business train already has a power car of its own.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#392989  by jgallaway81

Bryan... the power car itself is an issue....

because it is a boxcar, it reduces the trains maximum permittted speed to 50mph.

#393020  by L'mont

Is the second A out of the shops?

#393286  by lvrr325

jgallaway81 wrote:
As for the reason Why NS would by the 4-axle units... my guess is that with as much trackage around that is restricted to four-axles, they want executive power that is capable of SYSTEM-wiode travel, NO restrictions.
It comes down to economics - the ex-CR E's 4020-4021 were from a group of 5 Amtrak extensively rebuilt in the early 80s (the pair Reading & Nothern had were out of the same group), they had 645 power assemblies and new wiring and so on. But they issue was the trucks - they're harder to get parts for and prone to cracks and fatigue issues, so I have been told. The newest E trucks were built in what, 1960? These F-units, if they have a truck problem, NS has 100's of other units with the same trucks and parts, the parts are much more widely available. So they're less expensive to maintain and repair when needed.

I'm just glad they got rid of the ugly flat-faced pilots.