Railroad Forums 

• SD9's

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#348477  by NSDash9

An additional update. NS 51, 58 and 59 are headed east today bound for storage in Conway, PA.

Chris Toth

NSDash9.com
http://www.nsdash9.com

#348583  by U-Haul

What condition(s) are the SD9Ms in? Are these units decent or junk?

#348739  by alex45

Wanderer wrote:52, 55, 57, and 58 are in service. 50-51, 53-54, 56, and 59 are stored serviceable. They are active roster units still however.

SD9M's 52 and 57 took an Eastbound ride to Juniata yesterday on 10N-21 for some much needed attention. They were DIT (dead in tow), but looked damn good for the senior citizens that they are. Caught them at Summerhill, PA and Gallitzin, PA. The two units are also RC equipped now.
I do here now that they're retiring those engines.

#351898  by U-Haul

Are there any updates on the SD9Ms?

#361189  by General

A friend of mine went by Pavonia a week or two ago for some shots of the SD9's for a public relations something or other. He said that the 57 is the only SD9 there and there is no use for it. The engine does not run, the traction motors are shot, and the remote control equipment had been cannabalized. All the 57 is, is a shell of a locomotive. Whenever he gets the pics on the web, if it ever happens, I will post a link.

#361266  by Engineer James

General> How did she end up like that? *Puzzled*

#361632  by U-Haul

So 57 is "junk" how are the other 9 units? Good enough to be picked up by a leasing company?

#363999  by General

Engineer James wrote:General> How did she end up like that? *Puzzled*
I have a few ideas of how it could have ended up in such bad shape one of which being these idiots with poor engineer and conducting skills dragging it around but i will not go into it. after speaking with my friend he said the unit has two axles that are flat spotted beyond repair and one wheel is cracked. the remote equipment was torn up and the engine block has freeze damage to. from what i heard that is how itarrived at pavonia. the 52 and 57 never ran since there arrival due to there condition. they wemt to pavonia dead in tow and that was how the 52 left. anyone know where the 52 ended up?
I doubt that a leasing outfit would pick up any of these when they can get an sd-40 instead

#364209  by U-Haul

Thank you General. I know HLCX rosters at least 3 of the early Geeps ie. GP7, GP9 somethings like that.

#371461  by electro soundwave

were 50 and 58 sublettered for the NKP? That's what it looks like in Ray's tribute page

#390160  by Engineer James

U-Haul> Whats up with that Pic of 57 and a coach all about? The coach looks heavyweight..... and I did not know NS to have any.