Railroad Forums 

• Tunkhannock Viaduct in Nicholson PA

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1550837  by Rail Boy

Hi all: Some quick questions about a very-last-minute rail fanning trip to Nicholson PA.

1. was there today and got lucky to see 11Z go south at about 12:40pm. Unfortunately my camera malfunctioned and my pictures came out blurry. I would like to hit it again tomorrow on our way home, but want to make sure that the 11:00am - 1:30pm window is about normal for that train in that area.

2. Is there a normal window for 14R going north from Enola in that area as well?

3. Are there any other regular freights in the area? I heard K81 on the scanner, but it was working down closer to Steamtown.

Again, sorry for the last-minute questions. Normally I would do some more homework before our trip, but we're in a cabin in the woods up here and I just learned about this location two days ago.
 #1550877  by johnpbarlow

Up until this morning, 8/23/20, 11Z crew E Binghamton Yard departure time had been pushed to late morning but for whatever reason, the 11Z crew was OD this morning at 0600 and, as I type, 11Z-23 is departing Binghamton led by NS8077 at 0800. I'm guessing this means 11Z will arrive Tunkhannock Viaduct around 0900 (it's only 35 miles from the yard to the viaduct)? I'm not familiar with the 14R schedule but it seems to depart the Rockville Bridge at at Harrisburg pretty regularly around 11 give or take. I'm guessing it will take 6-7 hours to get to the viaduct so maybe sometime after 5pm? The only other regular trains that operate over Tunkhannock Viaduct are the H97 / K82 nocturnal Binghamto-Scranton turn freights.

This Broadcastify feed covers the Sunbury Line https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14648. Broadcastify App is available for iPhones.
 #1550936  by Rail Boy

Hi John and thanks for the reply. Yes, I got burned again this morning. I left the cabin in the woods at 10:00am and when I got cell service about 15 minutes away, I heard 11Z call by CP 659. I was hoping I mis-heard it and it was really at CP629 but about 15 minues later I heard K81 report 11Z by with a marker at Steamtown.

11:00am for a sign up in Enola for 14R? I'll keep that as a benchmark and start listening to the scanner based of of that. We're planning another trip to that area in Mid-October so maybe my efforts will pay off with some foilage.

And thanks for the tip about Boradcastify. That's what I was using this morning. It's been handy every since I misplaced my scanne.