Railroad Forums 

• Is There a Hiring Freeze?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1366039  by confused

Before Thanksgiving I went to a hiring event for NS conductors and got the tentative job offer and got approved for all the background/physical stuff. Around mid-December I ended up getting laid off from my job (which, no big deal since I expect to start at NS in January). It's been about 2 months now since I got the offer, I just asked and was told that the conductor classes have been suspended indefinitely.

I have a lot of concerns about this since I'm completely unemployed now and NS told me nothing about what was going on until I asked. Has anyone heard if there is a hiring freeze or know what the issue might be? Is there any insider word on how long they're going to stop training? And, when they do schedule classes again, will I be on the top of the list to be notified or will they just go out and hire new people?

Also, neighboring states are hiring for the conductor position, and I am willing to relocate - is there a way to be transferred to one of those open positions so that I can actually start working, or even, can I apply to other local positions at NS that I'm qualified for, or would that hurt my chances of getting the conductor job when the freeze ends?
 #1366634  by NS212

NS has been furloughing conductors and cutting conductor trainees all across the system. They have even suspended training for engineers. There is no telling how long this will last. It's an unfortunate situation for many, not just for NS, but all Class one railroads. :-/