Railroad Forums 

• NS "New" SD40-2 Update

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1222985  by NSDash9

Norfolk Southern is acquiring 80 SD40-2 locomotives from Helm Leasing. These units are being patch-renumbered in the NS 3505-3584 series and prepped for delivery to NS at Metro East Industries in E. Saint Louis, IL.

I have added a roster page to my website that lists the former numbers for all 80 units, as well as their current paint schemes. While the majority are of BN heritage, there are also former CP, Colorado Southern, Kennecott Copper, Milwaukee Road, MKT, MP, SLSF, and UP units among the 80.

There are three "snoot" nose units, and the most unique of the group is a former BN LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) test unit, which is now diesel powered, but retains its flared radiator carbody.

NS 3505-3584 Roster
http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/3505.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delivery of these units to NS should begin soon. They are expected to be routed to the NS shops in Chattanooga, TN for repainting and any needed repairs.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com
Also visit the NSDash9 facebook page for the latest updates.
 #1225082  by D.Carleton

An SD40 question of a different flavor: The SD40E program is, as far as I have heard, considered a success. Why didn't NS procure more sidelined SD50s for the rebuild program? They have obtained more SD60s for the SD60E program.
 #1225682  by v8interceptor

D.Carleton wrote:An SD40 question of a different flavor: The SD40E program is, as far as I have heard, considered a success. Why didn't NS procure more sidelined SD50s for the rebuild program? They have obtained more SD60s for the SD60E program.
I recall reading that the SD50's rebuilt to SD40E specs had their as built 16-645F engines removed and replaced with 16-645E3 engines. IIRC, this had to do with the oil line arrangement on the newer engines...
 #1225683  by v8interceptor

v8interceptor wrote:
D.Carleton wrote:An SD40 question of a different flavor: The SD40E program is, as far as I have heard, considered a success. Why didn't NS procure more sidelined SD50s for the rebuild program? They have obtained more SD60s for the SD60E program.

I recall reading that the SD50's rebuilt to SD40E specs had their as built 16-645F engines removed and replaced with 16-645E3 engines. IIRC, this had to do with the oil line arrangement on the newer engines. So, they would not only have to purchse SD50 core locomotives but 645 engines as well..
 #1225913  by D.Carleton

v8interceptor wrote:I recall reading that the SD50's rebuilt to SD40E specs had their as built 16-645F engines removed and replaced with 16-645E3 engines. IIRC, this had to do with the oil line arrangement on the newer engines. So, they would not only have to purchse SD50 core locomotives but 645 engines as well..
I have heard that the 645F engines were "converted" into 645E's. I'm an ALCo 251 man so I'm not going to pretend to know how or if such a conversion is done.
 #1248593  by MEC407

SD40-2s are pretty cheap right now. If the end goal is a 3000 HP locomotive, and you can get a bunch of them for not much more than scrap value, it probably makes sense to buy them, rather than spend more on buying SD50s and converting them.

Buying SD60s for the SD60E program is a different scenario, as they're intended for a different type of service and they're getting new 710s at 4000 HP. Basically they're making "poor man's SD70Ms" out of them.
 #1250513  by XC Tower

From Chris's roster of these Helm Sd40-2's (Well done!!!), it seems that some are already painted in NS black before being released from the shops....Are the others already on the property that are not painted running throughout the NS system? Any photos?
Thanks.

XC