Railroad Forums 

• new NS locos

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #99841  by mike

Has NS ordered any 70m's recently? By recently, I mean after the last batch of 33 they got? Yesterday (2/18) I saw a primer sd70 on the point of a WB manifest sitting at Vickers, and if this unit is from that batch of 33, I thought it odd that it'd still be in primer. Was pretty clean too. This wasn't one of the new m-2s. It was a "regular" sd70m. Thanks.

#100068  by railohio

NS has ordered 52 of the new SD70M-2 units to be numbered 2649 to 2700 for delivery later in 2005.

#100733  by Bryanjones

Yes, at the end of 2004 NS ordered 25 additional SD70M's, #2624-2648. All of the units were physically built during 2004 but a few were not delivered until after the first of the year. A couple of these units have been painted but most are still primer.

Bryan Jones
 #100760  by SD Shortline

Does the NS have any AC locomotives?

Besides the SD80MAC's, I can't seem to find a good comprehensive roster with what they have. The ones I hace found seem to indicate that the big 5000HP jobs are the only ones.

Over on the RR Operations forum someone believes they have hundreds of AC locomovites. I wasn't sure if they even still had the SD80MAC's but they have 17. The NS tends to stay with the DC units at least I thought.

Thanks

SD Shortline

#100803  by charlie6017

SD Shortline,
You are correct. NS does not prefer AC traction motors. As far as I know, the SD80MACs that NS received in the Conrail split are the only ones they have. NS continuously orders DC units. CSX is the one with "hundreds of AC units".

#100808  by Stephen

SD Shortline,

I have no idea how accurate this site is but it does have a NS roster.

http://www.thedieselshop.us/NS.HTML

It suggests that other than the SD80MACs and a few GP38ACs, the NS roster is all DC power.

- Stephen
 #100870  by SD Shortline

Thanks for the roster information.

The 52 unit order of SD70M-2 inicates that they may stay with the DC system.

SD Shortline

#100878  by Stephen

Stephen
It suggests that other than the SD80MACs and a few GP38ACs, the NS roster is all DC power.
My error, the GP38ACs are not AC locomotives as normally classified... :(

Therefore my previous statement should have been... It suggests that other than the SD80MACs, the NS roster is all DC power.

- Stephen
 #105139  by ns engineer

The new SD70M-2's are to be delivered in late 2005 and will be numbered 2701-2752 that is according to Norfolk Southern's High Green Newsletter.

#119498  by MR77100

I have asked this before, but why doesn't NS not like AC units? Would SD70DCe be a more appropriate term for these new units from EMD, since they are literally just a DC version? Also, is NS ordering any of the ES40's or ES44's?

#119740  by AmtrakFan

Reason they don't like AC traction is it costs more $.