Railroad Forums 

• Oil Trains (RJMA / MARJ, OI-x, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1049318  by gokeefe

roberttosh wrote:Speaking of new traffic, someone mentioned to me today that Pan AM and CSX are in discussions about re-instating a dedicated Intermodal service from Worcester to Waterville, similar to the old GRS/CR TV99 service. I'll try to confirm with my contacts up at Iron Horse Park.
On a similar note and since PAR is apparently in "go get 'em" mode there could be additional traffic from moving intermodal containers from Auburn/Danville Junction to Freeport (especially since the tracks have been rebuilt). Perhaps SLR could be interested in interchanging cars at Yarmouth Junction. Sounds crazy but lately it appears to be "anything goes".
 #1049326  by roberttosh

They could possibly even run a dedicated train to CSXI's new North Baltimore, OH Intermodal facility. From there it's a very easy truck haul to markets like cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Columbus, Indiana, etc and they also classify rail shipments for furtherance to places like St Louis, Memphis and TX as well as Chicago and the West Coast. If the Ethanol ever happens and the Unit Oil and CSX Intermodal trains come to fruition, Ayer is going to be a pretty busy place!
 #1049332  by gokeefe

Dick H wrote:The NBSR and PAR could work out a deal for track
upgrading between Waterville and Mattawamkeag,
to handle the oil and increased other traffic.
I've been thinking some of the same thoughts as well. With production volumes in North Dakota currently pushing the 600,000 bpd mark (an not looking back anytime soon....) one has to wonder what this kind of business would look like. In some places trains like these arrive at their endpoints on a daily basis. Assuming the lowest possible volume would be once a week, the potential range of this traffic is from 5,356 cars per year (103 cars x 52 weeks) to 37,595. Regardless, this unit train business has to be a significant new line of business for PAR, even if it is only the minimal, once a week, scenario.

Although I anticipate PAR would certainly stick to their "Class II" model, I do think they would have to make substantial investments in their physical plant to include a major tie replacement program along with new ballast and surfacing. I can't imagine their tracks in their current state could withstand the regular pounding from the addition of a heavy daily unit train such as this one.
 #1049335  by roberttosh

gokeefe wrote:
Dick H wrote:The NBSR and PAR could work out a deal for track
upgrading between Waterville and Mattawamkeag,
to handle the oil and increased other traffic.
Although I anticipate PAR would certainly stick to their "Class II" model, I do think they would have to make substantial investments in their physical plant to include a major tie replacement program along with new ballast and surfacing. I can't imagine their tracks in their current state could withstand the regular pounding from the addition of a heavy daily unit train such as this one.
You hit the nail on the head. There's absolutely no way the current track structure East of Waterville holds up as is with 2 or 3 of these 100+ car trains per week. This is probably why Pan Am and NBSR have been in discussions for a while now about NBSR taking over on a haulage basis east of Waterville an repairing the track. I guess the sticking point is that it's gonna cost a LOT of $$ to do so.
 #1049425  by Cowford

"...On a similar note and since PAR is apparently in "go get 'em" mode there could be additional traffic from moving intermodal containers from Auburn/Danville Junction to Freeport (especially since the tracks have been rebuilt). Perhaps SLR could be interested in interchanging cars at Yarmouth Junction..."

What do you mean, George? Are you suggesting interchanging intermodal at Yarmouth Jct for delivery to a Freeport intermodal terminal?
 #1049429  by doublestack

Thanks to Pan Am power the oil can express with 68 loads and two hoppers made it to Canada.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrYKj5Qx ... ature=plcp
Here is the location where the train was filmed. Just outside St. John's, New Brunswick.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rjc28b ... orm=LMLTCC
Last edited by doublestack on Mon May 28, 2012 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1049443  by MEC407

bostontrainguy wrote:
JB283 wrote:Whats the chances of those units going all the way to NB over PAR?
What if they used only units with steerable axles? Could those go all the way?
Part of the problem is that it's never been tried before. In addition to asking BNSF and/or CSX to provide only units that have steerable trucks, PAR would probably have to conduct some tests over the affected trackage to see how those units fare, and how the track fares. That's a pretty expensive test if one or more of the units ends up on the ground (or if the units make it across but the track gives way afterwards, putting the oil tanks on the ground).
 #1049447  by MEC407

MEC&BAR wrote:Arrived at Mattawamkeag around 13:10

Departed the Keag at 13:53

Power was
HLCX 6318
HLCX 8144
MEC 507
MEC 517
MEC 510
Did the three MEC units haul the train from Waterville to Keag, and the two Helms were added on at Keag?
 #1049458  by MEC&BAR

MEC407 wrote:
MEC&BAR wrote:Arrived at Mattawamkeag around 13:10

Departed the Keag at 13:53

Power was
HLCX 6318
HLCX 8144
MEC 507
MEC 517
MEC 510
Did the three MEC units haul the train from Waterville to Keag, and the two Helms were added on at Keag?
Yes power was 502, GMTX 3105, 507, 517, & 510.

6318 & 8144 replaced 502 & 3105 at Keag.
 #1049459  by MEC407

Thanks!
 #1049472  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:
gokeefe wrote:...On a similar note and since PAR is apparently in "go get 'em" mode there could be additional traffic from moving intermodal containers from Auburn/Danville Junction to Freeport (especially since the tracks have been rebuilt). Perhaps SLR could be interested in interchanging cars at Yarmouth Junction...
What do you mean, George? Are you suggesting interchanging intermodal at Yarmouth Jct for delivery to a Freeport intermodal terminal?
Currently L.L. Bean receives intermodal containers at Auburn and trucks them (I believe using their own personnel and equipment) to Freeport. Both the Order Fulfillment Center (OFC) on Desert Road and the Casco Receiving Center (CRC) on Main Street are within a stone's throw (or a little more) of the railhead.

Since PAR seems to have such a strong desire for incremental traffic and since the track through Freeport has been rebuilt (to include CTC signals) the line would seem to be a candidate (in the new way of looking at things) for intermodal container traffic to L.L. Bean's facilities. I know that under practically any circumstance there is no way that they should be trying to beat a truck short haul from Auburn to Freeport, however if the interchange were to take place at Yarmouth Junction the job could basically be run as a local using (for example) PO-1/2/3/4/5.

I can personally vouch for the fact that between the OFC and the CRC L.L. Bean is receiving at least 10-20 containers a day. Currrently all of these are trucked individually from Auburn. If SLR ran the cuts of intermodal to Yarmouth Junction, handed them off to PAR which dropped them somewhere in Freeport for L.L. Bean (either at one facility, both or a special intermodal terminal), there is some small potential business there for PAR, perhaps in switching fees more than anything else.