Railroad Forums 

• Winchester residents vs. PAR & Tighe Trucking

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1197445  by newpylong

I hate to do it, but I am going to use a quote from Happy Gilmore: "you eat pieces of sh*t for breakfast"? The scene comes to mind when I picture Pan Am vs Winchester. I don't think service was interrupted, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them request compensation for lost revenue from this charade if this becomes the case.

It would be ironic to see the use of the privately owned (track closest to the warehouse) be banned and Tighe unload from the second track via ramp as they do through the cars on the first track currently, lol.
 #1199597  by jaymac

And so it goes:
Winchester's statement of intent to respond to the amicus filing, http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... /$FILE/234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To torture a metaphor, once the big dogs start barking, they tend not to be responsive to local animal control officers.
 #1199880  by Backshophoss

WHY is the town trying to kill off 1 of their biggest TAXpayers and employers with this il-advised action,
the "simple" fix could have been allowing switching from 6am to 10pm,if MBTA/MBCR would allow that.
It's INTERstate commerce,not local commerce,STB will tell the town to ceace ,and "go scratch".
1 50ft boxcar can carry about 6-8 53 ft trailers worth of cargo.
Does Winchester want to be totally congested by truck traffic 24/7??
 #1199900  by newpylong

Regarding your question #1, there is enough money in that town for them not to care about commercial taxes or jobs from a warehouse/distributor. They would be more than happy to see the warehouse shuttered again.
 #1199980  by b&m 1566

Why can't the MBTA allow Pan Am to service the warehouse during the day in between commuter trains? . Didn't the B&M originally operate like that back in the in the day? I can't image there are more passenger trains between Boston and Lowell today than there was in the early early 20th Century.
 #1200072  by B&M 1227

There might not be more trains but there's definitely less trackage to stash the locals.
 #1200208  by GP40MC1118

Most of the meets between passenger trains happen between Winchester and
Anderson RTC, then add in Amtrak, MW patrols....

Back in late B&M days, BO-4 would come out of Somerville and work between
Winchester and S. Wilmington. Occassionally swapped cars with WI-1 (out of
Wilmington) at S. Wilmington. Montvale Yard was double-ended then and the
Stoneham Branch was still open to Atlantic Gel. The 50-55 car siding between
Swanton Street and Winchester off No.2 track was active and road freights
like SAED/EDSA used to drop and pick up off the north end or at Montvale Yard.
There was also an interlocking at Montvale (north end/Stoneham Branch) which
allowed more time to switch Tighe. The "single track" caused by the switching
extended only from Montvale to Winchester, not Anderson RTC (Crawford) and
Winchester (or the late Mishawum Interlocking).

Bottom line - its a 24Hr 7 Day a week double track mainline used by MBTA,
Amtrak and PAR. BUT this is Massachusetts friends...

D
 #1200574  by jaymac

Another day, another filing:
http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 4/$FILE/23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't even stay at Holiday Inn Express, but it does seem that the town's counsel is heading west on the east slope of Da Hill a few thousand HP shy of getting to 345.