Railroad Forums 

• Winchester residents vs. PAR & Tighe Trucking

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1024692  by jaymac

Observing recrews at Wachusett during the 2010-2011 winter was particularly instructive. After the Carhartt, Dickie, or snow-mobile-suit-impeded bad-walking and ladder-climbing two-way trip to apply the required number of handbrakes, next would come wading through waist-deep unplowed snow with kits to the plowed lot for the van or cab. Reverse that for the fresh crew. Why a path from the lot to the tracks wasn't plowed is beyond puzzling. Westminster was generally kept in reasonably good shape, but Wachusett wasn't. Pick-ups, set-outs, and yard work in general would have made a hot August day look almost good.
 #1024903  by jakirk

I read one of the earlier articles in the Winchester Patch which I've linked below (my comment is listed below the article as well). I did some research on the women making complaints in the article, and it turns out that they were real estate agents with nearby listings. Neither of them live within the immediate area. I was disappointed that the reporter didn't mention the business interests of the people involved.

http://winchester.patch.com/articles/wi ... rain-stops
 #1024986  by Teamdriver

With respect to the fact that the real estate brokers are making noise, I hope that they are not concealing the ongoing machinations to potential buyers of the close by properties. I am sure there must be some legal obligation on their part to disclose this, or at least not conceal it, if a shrewd buyer should ask, hey whats the deal on the railroad tracks ?
 #1025011  by tahawus84

While I am not familiar with the area I googe mapped baldwin st and it is borded by warehouses. What did these people expect? did they not drive the area before they bought the house?

And being that the complaintant is a realtor she is a dummy. Now she must disclose the issue with the trains. Before I would ever do business with a realtor I would google their name as well as the area I am buying in. Now that her name is in the public stating the issue with the trains she would be obligated to disclose the issue. She was better off just keeping her mouth shut and tryinh to sell the house. No buyers would come look at the house in the middle of the night anyway. If anything she just devalued her listing by bringing a possible issue to light in the newpaper.
 #1025039  by newpylong

They don't have to disclose noise per say but under a property sale declaration you do need to disclose anything that would possibly effect the value of the property. I think being next to the railroad tracks would definitely fall under this category.
 #1025351  by NRGeep

frrc wrote:
Teamdriver wrote:With respect to the fact that the real estate brokers are making noise, I hope that they are not concealing the ongoing machinations to potential buyers of the close by properties. I am sure there must be some legal obligation on their part to disclose this, or at least not conceal it, if a shrewd buyer should ask, hey whats the deal on the railroad tracks ?
Realtors are required to state any issues with a property, like lead paint, absbestos and other hazzards. I looked at a victorian in Springfield, MA a few months ago,and before anyone could set foot in the house (abandoned), the realtor made you sign a "hold harmless" form in case of problems. There were many, way too many.

Years ago, while looking at homes, one realtor stated that the house I looked at was "possibly haunted", due to the former owner killing his wife and burying her in the basement. Odd things would happen with the house, doors slamming shut, odd sounds and such. Wonder if whoever bought the house had an exorcism or a visit from one of those "paranormal" shows ?

J
Any ghost trains? Montrealer? Otherwise, no connection to this forum.
 #1030134  by ccutler

I grew up close to a commuter line, with occasional switcher activity which would include early nighttime yard activity. It was no big deal. The neighbor's occasional outdoor radio use was much more of a nuisance, along with a yapping neighborhood dog. As far as exhaust, the occasional bus going down the street was far worse, and closer, than the trains.

Winchester is a nice town but I just think these folks could better spend their time figuring a better way to collect their garbage and not having each household drive it themselves to the dump.
 #1030531  by JCitron

I like the way the residents complain that the railroad and Tighe didn't consider them when they wanted to start up operations again. Did the residents consider asking Mr. Tighe or the MBTA if it was okay to move in?

This is nothing more than NIMBYs and real estate agents.

John
 #1194119  by MEC407

From the Daily Times Chronicle:
Daily Times Chronicle wrote:After living with this for a year, residents opened up to Rep. Lewis, the town manager and the selectman chair about the struggles they face. It got so bad that they went out and hired a private noise firm out of Cambridge to test the decibel levels. According to the data they supplied, before the trains came in the noise level was about 40 decibels (leaves rustling and quiet conversation). Since the freight trains have come in, they said the noise level has increased to 60-70 decibels. Mass. law says an increase of 10 decibels is impermissible. What would a 20-30 decibel increase be?

Some residents claim that after they hold hearings on the matter, the noise gets even louder the next couple of nights. As one resident put it: "Every time we have a public forum, the next day we are bombarded like a war zone."
Read more at: http://homenewshere.com/daily_times_chr ... f887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;