• Pan Am Wreck Stand

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by arcadia terminal

Just saw The big hook and all its support equiptment just went thru West Fitchburg heading west at 2:25 pm 12/8/11 going up the hill. No addtional info as I was at work.

Peter
  by Tim Mullins

Is there a wreck somewhere?
  by Dick H

The wrecker outfit went to Maine 2-3 months ago and for some
unknown reason has spent many weeks at Waterville. It was
returning to East Deerfield. A couple of oddities on this run
was that there was only one dozer rig in the consist and there
was an MBTA coach at the end. Usually, the two dozers are
both on the train. The coach, #515, has been at Waterville for
two years for some sort of repair work. The wreck train tied
down at Lowell yesterday and the coach was no longer in the
consist. Probably gone back to the T. Here's a video of the
wrecker job passing Ballardvale on Tuesday. Video by Mainline
Productions. (one minute)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAvEondsEI
  by markhb

Dick H wrote:The wrecker outfit went to Maine 2-3 months ago and for some
unknown reason has spent many weeks at Waterville. It was
returning to East Deerfield. A couple of oddities on this run
was that there was only one dozer rig in the consist and there
was an MBTA coach at the end. Usually, the two dozers are
both on the train. The coach, #515, has been at Waterville for
two years for some sort of repair work. The wreck train tied
down at Lowell yesterday and the coach was no longer in the
consist. Probably gone back to the T. Here's a video of the
wrecker job passing Ballardvale on Tuesday. Video by Mainline
Productions. (one minute)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAvEondsEI
You know, I don't recall ever seeing a GRS-liveried caboose before. And what's the story on that ancient passenger car in the middle of that consist?
  by Tim Mullins

The first passenger car is or was if it still is , a kitchen car with tables...The old pasenger car contains tools and equipment for track repair and rerailing equipment i.e. chains,com-alongs,wrenches,sledge hammers,blocking...a whole lot a stuff...Was never inside the buggy....Maybe used as a type of office or comand center.
  by markhb

Tim Mullins wrote:The first passenger car is or was if it still is , a kitchen car with tables...The old pasenger car contains tools and equipment for track repair and rerailing equipment i.e. chains,com-alongs,wrenches,sledge hammers,blocking...a whole lot a stuff...Was never inside the buggy....Maybe used as a type of office or comand center.
Thanks; that old pax car definitely looked like it was effectively a work trailer, but I wasn't sure. And they brought along a portable break room!
  by arcadia terminal

I heard over the weekend that the Big Hook was held in Waterville to have some mechanical work done to the shives after the wreck work earlier this past season up in Maine.

That was the reason it took so long to come back to Mass.

I can't tell who the source is as they work for the railroad.

Peter
  by Mcoov

Any reason why the MBB was on the end? Did PAR purchase or lease it from the MBTA?
  by arcadia terminal

Just a thought, did they not borrow an extra car from the "T" or was it Amtrak when the business train ran the Pan Am Airline special? This could just be the car comming home.

Peter
  by MEC407

Mcoov wrote:Any reason why the MBB was on the end? Did PAR purchase or lease it from the MBTA?
I don't know what MBB stands for, but I assume this refers to the MBTA passenger coach at the end of the train...? If so, please scroll up and read Dick H's post, or read the caption on the YouTube page; you'll find your answer there.
  by Mikejf

Saw a Sidewinder southbound through Sidney, Maine today on a lowbed. Around noon. Is this the missing one?
  by tappermonk

Caught the wrecker being hauled by MEC 353 and MEC 377. Made an album if you would like to check it out. This was around 1:30 P.M. or so. Looks to be heading to Waterville via Leeds Junction.

Album Link: http://imgur.com/a/h6c5z#0

Also if anyone has a better suggestion for image hosts for railfanning pictures please let me know.
  by MEC407

tappermonk wrote:Also if anyone has a better suggestion for image hosts for railfanning pictures please let me know.
I use http://rrpicturearchives.net/
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

>>I don't know what MBB stands for

Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm, the manufacturer. I hope nobody was losing sleep over this.

PBM