Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1490818  by mokanpy

Jonathan603 wrote:Here is the video. Shows DO-1 crossing the trestle at Great Bay (by drone) and then heading into the Portsmouth Yard (by iPhone ;-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKgatmjbAJM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I missed DO-1 heading back up the branch line an hour or so ago. I saw it departing Rockingham to the North a short while ago.

Question: How do they turn DO-1 around when it gets back to Rockingham Junction from Portsmouth to face it in the right direction?
Nice work getting the whole chase in.
In all my years living in Portsmouth, I never saw that. Kudos
 #1490860  by Jonathan603

mokanpy wrote:Nice work getting the whole chase in.
In all my years living in Portsmouth, I never saw that. Kudos
Thanks. Luckily I live near Rockingham and work in Portsmouth so can respond pretty quickly if I hear it on the scanner.
 #1492925  by GaryAF

The span went down about 9:50 am and back up about 9:55 am.
I didn't see anything go over it.

Note: the cam clock is still on EDT.

Gary
 #1492963  by Jonathan603

Yes must be a test. Too bad. Would love to see something cross the bridge. The optimist in me wonders if they are testing because they will need it soon :)
 #1493538  by ereuter

Track work at Sea-3 is progressing, but not expected to be completed until March/April timeframe. They are holding off on the spurs that will connect to the propane racks to make it easier to get trucks in there for construction. However, the bypass track that connects to Sprague and and the main beyond is complete. The first move was Friday, when DO-1 switched Sprague for the first time in months (3 in, 3 out).

Here's a photo of them shoving the loads through Sea-3.

https://flic.kr/p/Rnbu4W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1497603  by Dick H

A one alarm fire in the duct work at Highliner Foods in Portsmouth Monday Morning around 10AM.
Building was evacuated and the fryolators were shut down. Portsmouth was assisted at the scene
by Rye, Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and Kittery ME fire departments. The scene was cleared in
about 90 minutes. Highliner is a PAR customer, affectionately known as "the fish".
 #1497698  by arthur d.

No visit to Highliner, but the local did make it to town on Monday.
And where did the Portsmouth office trailer go?
 #1497706  by Jonathan603

Yep 517 is at the yard right now. Looks like it might make a move soon.

Track car just left Emery for Rockingham.

I wondered where that trailer had gone too.
 #1497708  by MECFAN

For those that don't know the Railroad now has an office in the new parking garage in the far back corner next to the tracks. The trailer has been gone for a least a month now.
 #1497794  by Dick H

The PAR office in the new parking garage must be a continuation of the stipulation
in the original sale of the B&M station and adjacent property, which saw B&M and
later ST, GRS and now PAR having an office in the back of the former retail
building on the site. I have not been able to find the year that the station was
torn down or whether the railroad torn it down and sold the land. I have not
been able to find a photo of the Portsmouth Station in the modern era. There
are some here dating back to the horse and buggy days.
http://www.nashuacitystation.org/statio ... ortsmouth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Passenger Service from Boston to Portsmouth ended on January 4, 1965.