Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1327011  by shadyjay

Rockingham Racer wrote:
trainsinmaine wrote:Ah, I can see it now . . . all those folk lined up on the Potter Place platform awaiting the Acela to Montreal. :wink:
I was thinking more like: Danbury...
Personally, I think Potter Place would be a better stop. It's not too far from New London and the nearby Sunapee region there, plus the college. It would probably be the only intermediate stop between Concord and WRJ that I'd put in.

My relatives have a cabin in Danbury and during my first visit there, the grade crossing protection was still intact on the Waukenna Lake/Railroad St crossing.
 #1327026  by newpylong

I got the pun lol. Thought I am sure Ragged mountain would like to see a stop!

I wouldn't foresee any stops for an express train between WRJ and Concord either. If they ever ran more local service then I could see Lebanon, Andover, etc.

It really is a cool and well preserved right of way worth checking out.
 #1327067  by CPF363

It is really amazing that the State of New Hampshire did not do everything that could to prevent the track from being dismantled on the Northern Route. This is only main line that serves all of the largest cities in New Hampshire. If the rails were left in place north of Concord, a tie and crossing renewal project could have reopened the line. The line had a mix of 100lb and 112lb rail over the entire line and all of it was in pretty good shape, not all pounded down and worn out. Guilford removed the rails back in the early to mid 1990s.
 #1327074  by dnelson

CPF363 wrote:It is really amazing that the State of New Hampshire did not do everything that could to prevent the track from being dismantled on the Northern Route. This is only main line that serves all of the largest cities in New Hampshire. If the rails were left in place north of Concord, a tie and crossing renewal project could have reopened the line. The line had a mix of 100lb and 112lb rail over the entire line and all of it was in pretty good shape, not all pounded down and worn out. Guilford removed the rails back in the early to mid 1990s.
Remember, this is New Hampshire not Maine. You're talking about a state that, despite having multiple stations served by Amtrak, has not contributed a cent to the Downeaster's operating costs or maintenance.
 #1327078  by newpylong

CPF363 wrote:It is really amazing that the State of New Hampshire did not do everything that could to prevent the track from being dismantled on the Northern Route. This is only main line that serves all of the largest cities in New Hampshire. If the rails were left in place north of Concord, a tie and crossing renewal project could have reopened the line. The line had a mix of 100lb and 112lb rail over the entire line and all of it was in pretty good shape, not all pounded down and worn out. Guilford removed the rails back in the early to mid 1990s.
NH has an abysmal record when it comes to rail so it should not come as a surprise. That said, this line if still intact would still be out of service. Its only potential is passenger service. As they say, show me the money.
 #1327255  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Why in the hell does Penacook still exist? Even before PAR evicted NEGS from the mainline the shortline tried to drum up business up there for god knows how long and came up empty-handed. That's not going to ever change.

Besides, if Billerica wants to play spite games with such a little nothing carrier to keep them out they can file the abandonment for north of Commercial St. grade crossing and keep NEGS out all the same (and the 0.00000001% chance someone gets any ideas about the ex-Claremont & Concord, since Commercial is past that junction too).
 #1327916  by BowdoinStation

The 'Northern" was used, twice, last summer for storage during a special move that involved NEGS for about 45 to 50 cars. The track is in place to Boscawen and the line seems reasonably clear of weeds and brush. There is a sand / gravel pit that is visible off the Route 4 bridge crossing the tracks off Exit 17 that could be worthy of a sales call. Other than that, the tracks north of the run-around track in the Capital City, have been quite quiet since last Fall. NEGS's SW1500 is still in hibernation mode, though it was great to catch that engine hard at work last summer. The 2555 sounds as good as she looks.