Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am radio frequencies

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#872473  by ernie

Long time lurker, first time poster

Since I got my scanner many months ago, it seems I am only getting 1/2 the conversation (usually the dispatch side). The dispatcher is talking to the train...then silence (I'm assuming a reply)...then the dispatcher again....silence...etc.

I have the following freqs in my scanner, what am I missing?

I'm located in the greater lowell area.
 #872592  by Dick H

Unless the train, trackman, etc talking to the PAR dispatcher is relatively close
to your location, you won't hear them on 161.520. I don't believe the MBTA
uses a repeater either, so you won't hear those units unless they are close
to your location. Someone else probably can give more details on the MBTA.

The 161.370 was a frequency used by the B&M and later Guilford MOW, which
had a base at Billerica referred to as the "radio room". As far as I know, that
operation no longer exists.
 #872619  by cpf354

A good list, but 160.520 is bogus, delete.
161.565 is the input to the MBCR MOFW repeater which transmits on 160.695.
All other freqs. are base/mobile; no repeaters.
 #872977  by Mikejf

160.380 Switching / Track work District 1
160.620 District 1 Main line operations
161.250 Switching / Track work District 1
161.400 Switching / Track work District 1

Some of these may be useful in NE Mass.

What is the Frequency for District 2 Main line operations?
 #873377  by schwab21

Former B&M lines utilize a "duplex" radio system for dispatcher communications, where there are TWO frequencies. The dispatcher (or TOM, if you prefer) transmits on AAR CH. 70 (161.160 MHz), and receives on AAR 94 (161.520). Mobiles (trains, trackcars, anybody else with a radio that wants to talk to the dispatcher) is the oppisite, TX 94, RX 70. It IS NOT a repeater. You will only hear a transmission on 161.520 if you are close to whoever is talking. Transmitter sties for the dispatcher are on large hills, and this allows them to monitor communications over a large area. B&M "channel 2" is 161.400, this is used for yard ops. On the former B&M lines, radio comms have been mostly consolidated onto these three frequencies over the years. East Deerfield engine house is on 161.310. On the former MEC side, dispatcher in on 160.620 simplex (no repeater), and yard is on 161.250 (no repeater). 160.380 is often listed as MEC mantinence of way, but I've never personally monitored anything on it.

Signing off,

Jacob (radio nerd) Mayo.
 #880006  by cpf354

Actually 161.400 is used by the District 2 and 3 TOMs in select loactions, and is the only frequency in use by the TOM in Connecticut. I've heard the intermodal yard at Ayer on 161.310.
 #880151  by calaisbranch

I'm not certain how good it works outside of ME, but I know for sure 161.2425 works awesome around every yard up this way. On the right day, I can pick up crews from five miles away from their location. It appears to be set at a lower radius so it doesn't normally interfere with the road channels.
 #1104733  by tappermonk

Hey everyone!

Just purchased a used scanner on Ebay! Here to ask a few questions. I think I have gotten the necessary channels programmed in. Issue is, I am not picking anything up. So far I have entered in 160.380,
160.620, 161.250,161.400. I am just picking up static. Now I just have the antenna that came with the handheld scanner. I am not sure of the range. I am in Auburn, ME currently living on a hill. I would at least think I should be able to pick up something? Any tips or ideas as to the reason why I am not picking anything up. Do I need to be right on top of the train? I took a ride out to Danville Jct around 6:30pm and saw a train idling but still could not pick anything up. Am I do something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by tappermonk on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1104741  by MEC407

It might just be the time of day and the location. I don't have a scanner anymore, but in the past there would be days when hours and hours would go by and I wouldn't hear a peep. That's especially true in areas where there are no passenger trains.

If a few more days go by and you still haven't heard anything, it's probably a problem with your scanner. You should at least be hearing the District 1 dispatcher every now and then.
 #1104854  by Backshophoss

Put your scanner in search mode,set the range from 160.215 to 161.565,and listen to what pops up.
The question becomes has PAR gone narrow band??
 #1105009  by tappermonk

Edit: Stopped by Radioshack and it appears that I purchased an analog scanner. Is this a bad thing?

Thank you everyone for the help. After posting last night, I was able to hear the dispatcher. Now I was not able to hear the train talking back to the dispatcher nor two trains that passed through Auburn later in the evening. I am only half a mile from the track up on a hill. Could it possibly be I still do not have the right frequencies programmed in. I also have set it search mode on all railroad frequencies as well.

Thanks again!
 #1105180  by Dick H

Most railfans still use analog scanners. Many police agencies have changed over to
digital and there are digital scanners on the market, but they run in the $500 and
more range. In addtion, some police agencies are scambling their transmissions,
so that even a digital scanner cannot hear the conversations.

PAR uses "mountain top" transmitters for the Billerica dispatching. You are unlikely
to hear the trains radios, unless they are within two or three miles or even less of
your scanner location. I do not know the specific wattage of the radios in the locos,
but they really don't have great range.

Here's a web page of the mileposts in District #1 that might be of interest when listening
to the District #1 dispatcher. May take a few extra seconds to load....The information
has not been updated in 8 years, but is still mostly accurate.

http://web.archive.org/web/200409030948 ... rs_mp1.htm
 #1105181  by tappermonk

Thank you for the info. Still trying to figure out of this thing works. Caught a train earlier today and was not able to pick up on their radio even though I was then 5 feet away. Should I only be hearing the dispatcher with a scanner?