Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#881695  by newpylong

shadyjay wrote:
newpylong wrote:I can guarantee you Pan Am will not allow the line to be cab signalled as well - unless they are getting some of the funds themselves to purchase cab signal boxes. Everytime they ran a local or coal train down there they would need to find a cab signalled leader. It just wouldn't fly...

Don't forget Pan-Am already has cab signal-equipped locomotives - required to operate on Amtrak's Springfield Line in order to reach their isolated track from Berlin to Waterbury CT. I believe some of the "MEC" fleet is cab signal-equipped. And those trains run from East Deerfield down to CT. So only a couple more locos would need to have cab signals in order to supply power for the Mt Tom coal trains.

Never say never with Pan-Am. You just never know........
Oh I know they have them, I've worked in all of them. MEC 350 to 354 are "equipped" for cab signals. Not sure if each unit still has the boxes themselves.
 #881864  by F-line to Dudley via Park

shadyjay wrote:
newpylong wrote:I can guarantee you Pan Am will not allow the line to be cab signalled as well - unless they are getting some of the funds themselves to purchase cab signal boxes. Everytime they ran a local or coal train down there they would need to find a cab signalled leader. It just wouldn't fly...

Don't forget Pan-Am already has cab signal-equipped locomotives - required to operate on Amtrak's Springfield Line in order to reach their isolated track from Berlin to Waterbury CT. I believe some of the "MEC" fleet is cab signal-equipped. And those trains run from East Deerfield down to CT. So only a couple more locos would need to have cab signals in order to supply power for the Mt Tom coal trains.

Never say never with Pan-Am. You just never know........
The Conn River improvements stand to benefit PAS the most, and NS is itching for this link. NS certainly wouldn't have any trouble sending cabbed units up this way. And, hey, crippling power shortages are a PAR way of life. They do a fine FAIL on a daily basis getting their full slate crewed and on the tracks. Would that be any different regardless of signal system?

Ultimately, what Amtrak wants Amtrak is going to get. PAR once again hits the jackpot with another lucky opportunity to get Fed $$$ to upgrade their negligently-maintained mainlines. I don't think they'd care if the line were signaled with PTC or tuxedo-dressed monkey butlers stationed at every control point. They ain't paying for it, and they're reaping free benefits from it. That's all Fink and Mellon care about.
 #881960  by csor2010

As far as Mt. Tom power goees, if they continue to get the trains from the P&W most of their power is equipped for the NEC, which leaves ED-2, ED-4, and PL-1 as the only current jobs in need of cabbed units. As far as I know the 354 has never been to CT, which would leave only 350-353 with functioning boxes.
 #902844  by Cadet57

atholrail wrote:Last night I overheard D3 talking to ED2 down at Springfield. D3 advised him to give him a call before opening up north at MPS 2, as Amtrak was testing some equipment. hmm...
Of all the times not to have a scanner on...
 #903088  by F-line to Dudley via Park

atholrail wrote:Last night I overheard D3 talking to ED2 down at Springfield. D3 advised him to give him a call before opening up north at MPS 2, as Amtrak was testing some equipment. hmm...
Torture-testing their equipment at 10 MPH? :-)
 #906618  by BigLou80

While not technically PAR portion of the line, survey crews were working on the NECR in Vernon today not entirely sure what they were doing but im going to guess it's in anticipation of work this up coming spring.
 #906720  by Cadet57

There are a ton of pre made concrete tie sections sitting in Springfield under 91 and at the old MHC depot. There appear to be more every week too. Looks like they're getting ready for the snow to melt.
 #906747  by BigLou80

MHC depot?

I wonder what desk jockey came up with the great idea to use concrete ties, many many threads here about what a bad idea they are here in New England. I am surprised PAR isn't throwing a fit
 #906883  by newpylong

If they are going to use concrete, it does make some sense money wise - Most railroads do not just look at installed cost (up to three times higher for concrete), they also look at the maintenance cost over the life of the tie (higher for wood ties), and yearly down time on a line under maintenance (again higher for wood ties).

Concrete ties are cheaper to maintain and they last 3 times as long as wood ties. Most commuter lines get lots of Government money to build the lines but then are expected to pay for maintenance out of there own pocket after that, so it is in their best interest to move as much money to the initial install as they can.
 #906894  by Cadet57

BigLou80 wrote:MHC depot?

I wonder what desk jockey came up with the great idea to use concrete ties, many many threads here about what a bad idea they are here in New England. I am surprised PAR isn't throwing a fit
Where the Material Handling Cars used to be loaded/unloaded. Now used for MOW space.
 #906927  by MEC407

Concrete ties are indeed supposed to last much longer than wood, but hasn't MBTA had some major problems with concrete ties failing after only a few years?

During the planning stages of the Plaistow-Portland upgrade in the late '90s and early 2000s, NNEPRA and Amtrak wanted to use concrete ties, but Guilford was vehemently against it and insisted on wood. And wood is what they got.