Railroad Forums 

• Status of the GP7s and GP9s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#907046  by MEC407

BR4 wrote:It is with a heavy heart that I report that the last 2 MEC GP-7's on the roster have been scrapped.
#15 (568) & 12 (592) were scrapped recently. Other than the 573, the only possible remaining unit
I can think of is one that was at a musuem or tourist line in PA that went defunct. I think it
was ST 22. naybody ahve any info on this?
That's a shame about 12 and 15. Just curious, do you have visual confirmation that they were scrapped?

One MEC GP7 that I'm certain is still in existence is ORHS 471, ex-MEC 471, originally MEC 571. There are photos of it in operation in November 2010.

What about Quebec Central RG5 (ex-MEC 470, originally MEC 564)? Is that still around, or did QCR scrap it? The most recent photo I can find is from 2008. (They also have, or had, MEC 288, which may be [or may have been] the last D&H U23B in existence.)
 #907065  by BR4

Now I am not so sure. During a discussion early in February, a person at the Waterville shops stated that they had
been scrapped. However, on 2-23 a member of this group reported on another thread that they were on the dead line.
 #907075  by MEC407

OK. Hopefully we can get confirmation one way or the other.
 #908652  by Tim Mullins

They did go some where!....Finks wallet!........Sorry!...I couldn't resist.....I remember using the 12 on several occasions.
Switching in waterville or Rigby...I even had it on a west bound lead with another engine..Before we got to Deerfield I reported to D-3 that she was low on fuel and licking the bottom of the bowl...We made it to Deerfield and it was sent further west with another crew and no fuel...The rest is obvious!....That engine was a work horse in every sence of the word. If you had two GP-9's switching at Rigby the were the best to work with. Any one have any photos of it?
 #908660  by newpylong

Agreed. As one who worked the hump at Deerfield more times than I care to count, two 9's together definitely were the best.
 #908663  by Dick H

Another site shows both the 12 and 15 still in the deadline as of the end of February.
It also shows 4 GP9s still in service and 4 GP9s in the dead line. With the difficulty
in getting first hand sightings within the Waterville shop area, this may or may not
be correct.
 #908724  by MEC407

I remember seeing #12 on the Wells switcher a few years ago. This was shortly after it had come back from being leased by the Niagara & Western New York RR, and it had just been repainted back into Guilford colors. It sounded great, and was running very clean.
 #917615  by Tim Mullins

Anyone have any more info on the 12? I guess maybe it's kind of a dumb question cause it would have been posted....But I just thought I would ask...Also any updates on whats left in the dead line?....Thank You!
 #917640  by thebigham

The new issue of Railpace has the deadline units listed.

A few GP35s are missing so they have been scrapped.

I can list them here tomorrow.
 #917777  by KSmitty

Tim Mullins wrote:OK!....Thanks for the responce....Where can I get Rail Pace Mag. in the Dover,NH. area?....Thank You!
Tim, most model shops, and some bookstores carry the magazine. Personally, I dropped my subscription, I found that most news on Pan Am/Guilford either was first brought to the attention of Railfans either here or on the Guilford Rail Sightings Yahoo Group. In fact the editor of the New England section of the magazine is a member of GRS yahoo group. He also seemed to (before the thread went dead) follow the Pan Am Repaint Thread here.

Personal opinion-Just join the yahoo group and follow what goes on here. It just as accurate and usually more up to date.
 #918398  by thebigham

According to Jack Armstrong on page 36 of the April 2011 issue of railpace

Waterville deadline:

Cannot be found and might have been scrapped: