Railroad Forums 

• Activity on the Mountain Branch (Portland to Westbrook)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1229512  by BM6569

Was cleaning up some stuff today and found some topo maps I picked up at a garage sale this summer. One shows Westbrook so I tried scanning that section. Says last edited 1978 but I'm sure some of it was out of date. I can make a higher res scan if need be.
(159.72 KiB) Downloaded 5880 times
 #1256139  by MEC407

Photo by Derek Carpine:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=472924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1256693  by MEC407

Video by Derek Carpine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0bmoCchPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1260428  by markhb

The Press Herald reports that a private startup wants to get the Mountain Division going again....
A Maine entrepreneur is proposing to revive a defunct rail line for freight and passenger service between Portland and the White Mountains region of New Hampshire, with plans to extend the line eventually to Vermont and Montreal.

The driving force behind the project is David Schwanke, president of Golden Eagle Rail Corp., a startup company...

The biggest challenge would be creating agreements with so many different entities, said Deborah Murphy, who formerly handled passenger rail for the Vermont Rail System and is now working as a consultant for the project. Murphy said the deal-making skills that Schwanke mastered in Hollywood should prove useful.
 #1260551  by NHV 669

markhb wrote:The Press Herald reports that a private startup wants to get the Mountain Division going again....
A Maine entrepreneur is proposing to revive a defunct rail line for freight and passenger service between Portland and the White Mountains region of New Hampshire, with plans to extend the line eventually to Vermont and Montreal.

The driving force behind the project is David Schwanke, president of Golden Eagle Rail Corp., a startup company...

The biggest challenge would be creating agreements with so many different entities, said Deborah Murphy, who formerly handled passenger rail for the Vermont Rail System and is now working as a consultant for the project. Murphy said the deal-making skills that Schwanke mastered in Hollywood should prove useful.
This is the same guy that wanted to use the SLR line for the same purpose
 #1260552  by MEC407

Yup.

Further discussion about this subject can be found in the Reactivating the MEC Mountain Division thread.
 #1260559  by NHV 669

MEC407 wrote:Yup.

Further discussion about this subject can be found in the Reactivating the MEC Mountain Division thread.
yes, a good read i spent much of two weeks ago browsing through. Seems as though everybody forgets the fact that millions would have to be spent just to make the short portion from Whitefield to St. J even usable again
 #1263498  by JCitron

BM6569 wrote:Was cleaning up some stuff today and found some topo maps I picked up at a garage sale this summer. One shows Westbrook so I tried scanning that section. Says last edited 1978 but I'm sure some of it was out of date. I can make a higher res scan if need be.
westbrook.JPG
We thank you for the gesture, however, it isn't necessary and this will save you the effort. The National Geological Survey (NGS) has this and other topographic maps available as downloads. They are in the GEOPDF format which is usable for GIS purposes as well as viewing.

Here is the complete how-to download:
http://nationalmap.gov/historical/help/ ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a list of available maps for your region. You can even go back further if you want.
http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(ctype=areaDetails&xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&carea=%24ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/.do

John
 #1283957  by fogg1703

General alarm fire broke out earlier tonight at the mill, sounds like contained to a pile of woodchips in one of the buildings.

http://wgme.com//news/features/top-stor ... 9MZUONdWSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WESTBROOK (WGME) -- Dozens of firefighters from five different towns are on the scene of a fire at the Sappi paper mill in Westbrook. Firefighters at the scene tell CBS 13 a large pile of wood chips inside a building in the mill caught fire. The building features a sprinkler system that is soaking the area around the mill with a fine mist of water. After two hours and firefighters from Westbrook, Falmouth, Windham, Gorham and Portland working on the fire, crews pulled out and left the mill. Investigators say an overheating motor near the wood chips touched off the flames.
 #1292823  by MEC407

The grade crossing on Thompson's Point Road in Portland is being rebuilt this weekend, presumably in relation to the upcoming major redevelopment of Thompson's Point.
 #1293071  by gokeefe

MEC407 wrote:The grade crossing on Thompson's Point Road in Portland is being rebuilt this weekend, presumably in relation to the upcoming major redevelopment of Thompson's Point.
Speaking of Thompson's Point....if you haven't been by there recently there has been a whole bunch of site prep work done. All of the junk has been moved out the area is clean and free of debris and if I'm not mistaken one of the buildings has already received new windows. Lots still to be done but things are clearly moving forward.