Railroad Forums 

• Activity on the Mountain Branch (Portland to Westbrook)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1127044  by gokeefe

BM6569 wrote:Mountain Branch, got that from a daily speed restriction report I found in the ground at Danville several years ago. Ironically, none were listed for it at the time (November 2009)!
That would be the tracks that extend from the PTC which the Downeaster calls home.

We're asking about a spur of sorts that comes off the Freight Main Line north of Congress Street in the Deering area.
 #1127187  by markhb

Right; it is the line that cuts west at Deering Junction, crosses Forest Ave. by McDonald's and then proceeds west, paralleling Warren Ave. until it ends somewhere near Joker's. Originally it continued out to Westbrook and Gorham, and from there to Sanford and Rochester; the ROW is still visible in quite a few places on Google. The ETT I downloaded shows it as "Bishop St.", with no further description that I could find anywhere in the document.
 #1127226  by MEC407

Interesting.
 #1127467  by pnolette

markhb wrote:Right; it is the line that cuts west at Deering Junction, crosses Forest Ave. by McDonald's and then proceeds west, paralleling Warren Ave. until it ends somewhere near Joker's. Originally it continued out to Westbrook and Gorham, and from there to Sanford and Rochester; the ROW is still visible in quite a few places on Google. The ETT I downloaded shows it as "Bishop St.", with no further description that I could find anywhere in the document.

There are names for the tracks around Deering Jct. that the railroad uses,even though they're not in the timetable.The old WN&P track that branches off at Bishop St. is called the "B&M Side",another switch just west of there at Read St.goes to a small yard on the south side of the main known as the "Maine Central Side".I beleive it was called the B&M side because into the early 80's the B&M RR still owned the track from the Bishop St. switch to the end of track and the Portland Terminal RR did the switching.
 #1127631  by markhb

Thanks! That makes sense; my understanding had been that the Bishop St. side was old B&M property, so that lines up with my conceptions. Incidentally, that line was originally cut off from Westbrook by the Turnpike construction in the early 1950's. Tracks still exist from the Mountain Branch to nearly the Portland side of the city line in Westbrook, but I doubt you'd want to put anything heavier than an old movie-style hardcart on them.
 #1129760  by gokeefe

I found a video on YouTube of activity on the Mountain Branch. It is nearly identical to the more recent one and ironically is from 20 years ago. It could very well be that in that span these are the only two published recordings of this particular area.
 #1130019  by newpylong

I dont have a copy of the newest time table but my guess is back then you could get paper for the branch whereas now it's a running track and thus restricted speed. My guess is there are also probably special instructions in place on those crossings since they don't go there that often anymore.
 #1142664  by gokeefe

festis wrote:yes, that was their destination. AFAIK, other than occasional car of Ballast out of Pike, Sappi is the only active customer on the branch, getting a switch maybe every 7-10 days.
I didn't realize it was that frequent.