Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1462279  by johnpbarlow

It is a bit curious to me why the Worcester main did not get a shot of track rehab last fall when the Stony Brook line got its rail upgrade. Perhaps Pan Am is waiting for someone the provide the funding (eg, MassDOT)?

A lot of LPG travels over this line.
 #1462282  by jaymac

Just after 0500/02-19-2016, somebody told D-3 that 15 cars had derailed on the 4. D-3's response was to tell them to move the marker up and take what they could. POSE was the one IDed closest to that transmission, but POED and ED-9 were also in the picture. There were no updates or Worcester Main Form Ds heard as of 0635, so dunno any more.
In connection with johnpbarlow's earlier post about LPGs on the Worcester Main, there are all sortsa placarded cars on that line, and one of the puzzlements is why the South Meadow Street/Clinton talker has remained OOS. Yes, the 7.8 talker "protects" the reservoir from EB loads, and yes, the WBs are MT, but dangerous residue is still dangerous.
 #1462293  by neman2

johnpbarlow wrote:It is a bit curious to me why the Worcester main did not get a shot of track rehab last fall when the Stony Brook line got its rail upgrade. Perhaps Pan Am is waiting for someone the provide the funding (eg, MassDOT)?

A lot of LPG travels over this line.
My guess is the Stony got priority because -
1) It has 4 trains per day vs 2 on the Worcester.
2) MassDOT has less interest in the Stony so Pan Am decided they had to invest some money because prospects of state help are slim.
3) The state may have some interest in the Worcester as an alternative to the Grand Junction , perhaps even long term with upcoming work in the Beacon Park area.
 #1462499  by jaymac

Never got to hear if there was any significance, but at 0621/02-21-2018, D-3 called out to POSE, saying there was a cab and CSX crew waiting for them. I was in the northern stretch of Oakdale then and heard no response. There was nothing visible at Oakdale or other Rte. 140 visibility points west, and there was no further radio -- including the 7.8 -- as of my 0635 end of listening.
 #1466301  by rustyrails

I've been watching Pan Am and CSX employees playing engine swap in Greendale. Both companies have to keep two to three engines idleing 24/7 in back of Dunkin's on rt12
 #1466613  by jwhite07

The collection of rent-a-wrecks and derelict locomotives recently dug out of Derby Shops in Maine were sitting on the Greendale siding most of last week, presumably awaiting CSX inspection and blessing to continue on to wherever the rest of their days takes them. I didn't have a chance to get down that way over the weekend - are they still there?
 #1466628  by PBMcGinnis

The ex-MMA junk at Greendale are to be sent off to Larry's Truck & Electric in McDonald, OH.
Which ones will be rebuilt, patched-up or parted out, all depends on who has a need.
My guess is the C30-7 and the F40PH will become razor blades, and the B39-8s will get patched up just based on recent trends in the 2nd/3rd/4th-hand market.
 #1466633  by jwhite07

Shoulda figured LTEX. OK thanks. They all look pretty rough... although I'd say the F40 is probably in the best condition externally. Nonetheless, I imagine that 645 engine is more valuable out of that unit than in it.

I'll be down that way tonight and take a look-see if they're still there. I assume they will be.
 #1466883  by jwhite07

The Derby Derelicts were picked up by CSX sometime during the morning of 3/27. Last evening's Greendale activity @6:30pm was a CSX to Pan Am power swap in progress on SEPO, 3 CSX GEVOs for two KCIRs (as jaymac would put it). I was driving, so no numbers noted.
 #1466892  by jaymac

jwhite07 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:25 am
...for two KCIRs (as jaymac would put it).
One might think there'd be more than 2 NewBlue rebrandings by now, but only if one had forgotten that this is PAR.
 #1468389  by NHV 669

Empties headed back to be refilled at Waterville, pallets of Poland Springs Water trucked from the plant in Kingfield. This traffic has been going on for a bit.

Edit, I'll answer your own question with one of your old posts.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=131728&p=1417137&h ... p#p1417137
Last edited by NHV 669 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.