Railroad Forums 

• medford branch cleanup?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#676619  by Tracer

atsf sp wrote: Nice to see it being used again. How long has the car been down there?
What car are you talking about?
 #676661  by atsf sp

GP40MC 1116 wrote:empty reefer from Crystal Cold Storage in Medford, MA.
That car.
 #677206  by consist

Atsf sp: Check the date on the post about a car being at Crystal Cold. It's long gone now. But it appears that the reefer was there from November to late March, an unusual scenario to say the least.
 #678920  by GP40MC1118

LA-1 brought 1 car out to the branch on May 28th. They went and retrieved it today aruond the
evening rush hour.

Business is booming...

D
 #699297  by atsf sp

Triker wrote:
mbk1999 wrote:http://www.crystalcoldstorage.com/aboutus.html

their site clearly mentions rail access!
There website says their served by the "boston and maine railroad". Maybe thats why they only get one car a year, their calling the wrong number!
Theoretically, Pan Am/Guilford still can be called B&M along with ST and MEC.
 #788360  by BostonUrbEx

Just wondering if there has been any activity since since the last move posted on June 4th, 2009.

I recall crossing over the branch on the Fellsway and always seeing a set of some cars on a siding to the east. Not sure if they ever moved or anything, but a year or two ago they were gone (I think it was the same time they cleared all the brush) and I haven't seen anything since. I had no idea there was other activity, even if sporadic.
 #788504  by tom18287

no moves since, i dont believe. they replaced all of the crossing signals with new ones a few months ago, i think they are ones that they removed from the saugus branch, but thats just a guess.
 #798026  by #7470

tom18287 wrote:no moves since, i dont believe. they replaced all of the crossing signals with new ones a few months ago, i think they are ones that they removed from the saugus branch, but thats just a guess.
could you possibly get pictures of this?
 #798080  by CGRLCDR

I recall from back in the 50s that the Medford Branch used to terminate in a small yard behind the Medford City Hall. For years there was a Railway Express Agency on Riverside Ave in Medford Square and there was always a Railway Express Car parked on the siding. With the exception of that car, I don't ever remember seeing any other cars stored in that yard. At some point late in the 50s the yard was pulled up and turned into a parking lot.

During the construction of Rt. 93 I recall seeing hoppers used to haul fill stored in and around the area where the highway passes over now. Also I recall seeing one train of hoppers on the Medford Branch passing Park Street Station; I'm sure there were many such trains - I only happened to see the one. I don't recall the markings on the locomotive, but I think it might have been B&M which was still operational back in those days. When I got out of the service in 1970 I went back to Park Street Station. The tracks looked in good shape, but I don't think they had been used since Rt. 93 was completed. The station at that time looked in great shape.

One other thing... Someplace I recall seeing an old map of Medford Square from around 1880. It showed the Medford Branch running from behind City Hall and crossing Riverside Ave terminating right next to the river in what is now the parking lot behind the stores. On this map, it looked like the yard was located there also. I got the impression that there migth have been some sort of interchange between the railroad branch and vessels on the river. Maybe for the rum or brick trade. does anyone know about this?