Railroad Forums 

• Boston Paper Board

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1468620  by GP40MC1118

Yes,there was a derailment after this initial delivery of two cars. BP can only unload one car at a time,
so when BO-1 went to pull out the empty and re-spot the load, the unit went on the ground (slightly behind
where the photographer is standing). Meanwhile,a third load arrived and stored at the end of the old MS
Walker spur at 3rd Avenue.

The track was fixed, so the original empty was pulled (was left at MS Walker) and the other load spotted.

D
 #1468627  by KB1KVD

They came in this morning and took out the 2 cars out and brought in 1 car.
 #1468964  by BostonUrbEx

Per David Blazejewski, BO-1 switched Boston Paper Board at about 10:30am. Not sure if they only pulled an empty, or if there was a spotted load, too.
 #1477431  by gokeefe

I can't believe this customer is suddenly going to be very active again ... Unreal ...
 #1477464  by gokeefe

What is "paper board" exactly? Is this a home construction material?
 #1477541  by Hux

It is coated/waxed paper which is used to make milk cartons, cereal boxes etc.
 #1477567  by gokeefe

I am fascinated but the sudden increase in demand for such a basic product.
 #1477571  by GP40MC1118

They are not having good luck...two more cars last week. First attempt at delivery and one car derailed without
even making it to the unloading dock. The second car was out by Innerbelt Road Sunday!

D
 #1477608  by bostontrainguy

Aren't they rebuilding the tracks in that area anyway? It's not a long siding.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1477866  by BostonUrbEx

gokeefe wrote:I am fascinated but the sudden increase in demand for such a basic product.
Perhaps related to public and regulatory backlash against styrofoams, certain types of plastics, etc. I think I heard a few months ago that Dunkin Donuts will be eliminating styrofoam cups entirely, and bringing back paperboard for hot drinks of all sizes. Just for one example.

Out of curiosity, do any of the Maine paper mills make paperboard?