Railroad Forums 

• Danville Jct. to be "reconfigured"--finally!

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#634683  by Mikejf

Any map of the lower portion of the yard? Showing where the diamond and yard are now. And the so called improvements that will be made to them. I see that there is track headed that way, just wondering what happens to it on the other end.
Mike
 #635140  by CN9634

Pictures have temporarily been taken down to protect those who work for the railroad. I felt comfortable posting them but now I no longer feel comfortable. I don't want to get anyone in trouble and I will contact the Maine Department of Transportation to try and get an official version of the plans or official permission. Sorry guys.
Last edited by CN9634 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #635294  by Mikejf

Thanks for posting those Charles. I can see where they got rid of the diamond, but still the potential for the blocking you talked about. Where Pan Am and SLR cross at the 2 switches. But the proof will be in the pudding, as they say. When the track work is complete, maybe then Pan Am will have to stop the train short of blocking the SLR Main while doing their switching. Almost in the exact spot they could stop now and not block anything.
Mike
 #635587  by RailNutNE

CN, not sure where you got those schematics, but I wouldn't think that the owners of the SLR and Pan Am would appreciate you posting them on a public forum. On a lighter note, any idea of a start date for work this year?
 #635602  by CN9634

I was hesitant to post them but I thought out of the goodness of my heart I would post them haha.

But seriously my thinking was If the tax payers are paying half of the cost of this project and since these plans are sponsored by the MDOT, a public entity, I saw no problem with the Maine state tax payers seeing the plans. If you have a real problem with this however I always can take it down.

:-D
 #635734  by CN9634

haha no I don't work for either one. I have a lot of good friends that work on the railroad and I got permission to take these photos. If however these photos are offensive I can take them down (I don't see how they could be but who knows?) but I recieved permission from the individual and I am not going to disclose their name. Like I said before, this is a MDOT project as well and we as the tax payers have a right to see the project. I'm actually surprised MDOT hasn't posted it themselves but they have a tendency to be slow updating the website.
 #669730  by Mikejf

Anyone been through Danville lately? I went through Friday night and could only see piles of ties and rails. No Grading on the North side as of yet. It was to dark to see what has been done on the south side.
Mike
 #670903  by CN9634

Work was being done today. I went through and there were 3 RailWork USDOT vehicles there (One boom truck and two hi-rails) and Guilford crews doing work on the Guilford side. The USDOT crews were loading the boom truck with a small loader/crane with rails. No idea what else they were doing. Also they filled in the gravity feed on the SLR side on the bridge with Tar. Stay tuned for more.
 #670981  by SLR 393

Do you mean the trucks said USDOT on the side followed by a number? If so its not DOT's trucks, its the company's USDOT markings required on commercial vehicles.