Railroad Forums 

• Danville Jct. to be "reconfigured"--finally!

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#601204  by Mikejf

I haven't quite figured out how they think all this trackwork is going to save a day's car time. Anyone got that figured out yet? When one railroad sets off a car, the same time is going to elapse before the next one picks it up, unless it shows up with no paperwork. Then it doesn't matter how many tracks you have, it sits there until someone figures it out.
Mike
 #601233  by CN9634

well The idea is that when one railroad is on the Diamond, the other can't cross. Basically they're trying to keep the SLR on one side and PAR on the other. The new track layout will keep the PAR and SLR mainlines from crossing on another. This works good because the SLR can switch any time now without having to worry about the mainline being fouled. Since Guilford controls the Diamond I do believe they get priority over the line. Hope this helps!

I also managed to snag a shot of one of the schematics of Danville Junction. I have another shot of the rest but the file was corrupt so I'll reupload it when I get my camera back!

#601529  by Mikejf

Thank you for the reply. It makes sense to me now. I knew the were getting rid of the diamond. One of the SLR workers gave me the heads up before the story broke in the paper. I would love to see a diagram still.
Mike
 #633784  by RailNutNE

Just wondering if people think this project is still a go? With traffic levels down on both railroads big time is it still a go? Just curious because it would be nice to see both railroads partner up to create something huge. Why would Pan Am care about partnering with SLR anyway, when they send everything West through their new partner NS? I'm so glad I found this board.
 #633969  by CN9634

The materials are still there and some work has been done already so I would say yes. We are at a low point in our economy but analyst expect the first thing to recover is railroads. Although anything is possible I suppose.
 #633972  by RailNutNE

Have you heard the rumor about G&W (SLR) buying the Maine Central? I've heard from a few sources that this could be a go come 2010. NS would have the B&M and G&W the Maine Central. Anyone else hearing these things?
 #633982  by MEC407

Rumors come and go. We shall see. If Pan Am dumped the Maine Central, they'd be left with the Pan Am brand and nothing else. The MEC is the only thing keeping the company afloat.
 #633999  by Mikejf

I still think that dumping all the money into the junction is a waste. I have been thinking about this for some time. If train A rops off a car, train B still has to pick it up. Diamond or no diamond. And Train A might still be in the way for Train B. They said in the news paper article that this would save 24 hours. I think it will save maybe 24 minutes. Awful lot of money to save almost nothing.
Mike
 #634004  by CN9634

Hey Mike,

Have you sat at Danville and seen trains sit there while one fouls the diamond? I've seen SLR trains wait for 2 or 3 hours to start switching and I've seen Guilford Freights have to call the SLR to clear the diamond. These disruptions added with 2 - 4 daylight trains can add up a lot of extra time. Also capacity is a huge problem with Danville. If you notice Danville is usually really plugged up.
 #634428  by Mikejf

But with proper planning, the diamond could have been left clear. Instead, they pull the train up to just clear of the road, make the cut while the rest of the train blocks the diamond, and then do their switching. Why not stop the train so it will clear the diamond, and do what needs to be done while not obstructing the other track.
But I see the real reason from the plans you submitted. Passenger track. I wonder how much this has to do with the easy spenders in Augusta. Future planning for a possible passenger train to Montreal. Paid partially with Federal or State funds.
On a separate note but along the same line, what has become of the State of Maine wanting to buy the SLR line from Danville to Deering? That hasn't appeared in the news since the story first broke. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything.
Mike
 #634463  by MEC407

miketrainnut wrote:On a separate note but along the same line, what has become of the State of Maine wanting to buy the SLR line from Danville to Deering?
The state did buy it.
 #634471  by CN9634

While passenger is an option this is no secret agenda for Danville junction this is a legitimate upgrade of a low capacity yard and when the SLR goes to switch for 2 - 3 hours at a time they have no choice but to foul the diamond when they pull out large cuts of cars. Thats not to say one day there wont be passenger rail of course.