Railroad Forums 

• "Pan Am Clipper" Newsletter

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#515047  by mainecentral

cpf354 wrote:I think the TWA brand is available, isn't it? I'm surprised New England Central or the P&W doesn't buy it for a pittance and rechristen themselves "TWA Railways"! :wink:
Maybe they should check into the Roto-Rooter brand name, since the road is slowly going in the toilet, anyway.....
Roto-Rooter Railroad... has a catchy ring, huh?
No offense, there just has to be a smart-alec in the bunch, right?

#515067  by CN9634

I believe the "Guilford Fail System" name is a very popular one and seems to emerge on locomotives by itself without the need to repaint!

#515130  by MEC407

CN9634 wrote:I believe the "Guilford Fail System" name is a very popular one and seems to emerge on locomotives by itself without the need to repaint!
Truly! Now that's an easy repaint... just take a sharp object, turn the "R" into an "F" and you're done. :wink:

Have there been any sightings of "Pan Am Failways" boxcars yet? :wink:

#515151  by rrobserver1

What, no D&H apparel? Oh, that's right they already put that one in the crapper!

Amazing that they even acknowledge the heritage of their company, I thought that was a no no at GTS, ST, GTI, nee PAR. Before Fink, Mellon et al there was nothing and soon it shall return to nothing.......

#515154  by MEC407

rrobserver1 wrote: Amazing that they even acknowledge the heritage of their company, I thought that was a no no at GTS, ST, GTI, nee PAR
Humor aside, there is actually a lot of truth in that. They have always gone out of their way to bury any and all remnants of BM and MEC heritage.

Moneymaking potential has to be the reason behind the sudden change of philosophy. It can't possibly be for any reason other than that.

#515206  by rrobserver1

They missed the opportunity to build on a fan base years ago. Look at loyalties of Ford and Chevy owners (fans) who are loyal to a brand.

In a day and age where everyone needs a constituency to suceed in many things, they blew it.

While they would not have made everyone happy, nor could they, they would at least have had a group of supporters who would stand behind them.

They truly arre adversarial in all things railroading.

#515225  by Gary Young

rrobserver1 wrote:They missed the opportunity to build on a fan base years ago. Look at loyalties of Ford and Chevy owners (fans) who are loyal to a brand.

In a day and age where everyone needs a constituency to suceed in many things, they blew it.

While they would not have made everyone happy, nor could they, they would at least have had a group of supporters who would stand behind them.

""You do not speek for everyone.I know a few others too that are fans.They have done,Guilford,more things right than wrong.That is why their still in business.

#515227  by cpf354

Remember in all of this that the Clipper is an in-house magazine for employees, not the general public. Maybe the heritage apparel is targeted to help build employee morale. I'm sure there are a few people still there who worked for the MEC and B&M prior to Guilford, and many who are descendants of generations of MEC and B&M workers.

#515254  by mick

There are still dozens of employees at PAR/ST
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

#515255  by NRGeep

Gary Young wrote:
rrobserver1 wrote:They missed the opportunity to build on a fan base years ago. Look at loyalties of Ford and Chevy owners (fans) who are loyal to a brand.

""You do not speek for everyone.I know a few others too that are fans.They have done,Guilford,more things right than wrong.That is why their still in business.
Timmy?

#515285  by Otto Vondrak

Let's make sure we're discussing the newsletter here (the original topic of this thread), and not just generally bashing and smacking PAR around...

-otto-
 #691250  by MCER401

What ever happend to the "Clipper" or "Xpress"? Nothing new on Pan Am's website since the 2nd issue in 2008. Are they still publishing it, only keeping it in house? They were actually pretty informative, I thought.
 #732739  by Mcoov

It's been over a year since the last "Clipper" was published.
 #755794  by MEC407

Better late than never. :wink: