Railroad Forums 

• "Pan Am Clipper" Newsletter

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1234874  by Dick H

I believe the 87 car limit on coal trains to Bow is
dictated by some sort of operational reason,
which I do not recall whether it is at Bow or
elsewhere. Possibly a power issue on the D&H (CP).
The situation was addressed by long time Dispatcher
G. Smith on the D&H (CP) some years ago on the
D&H Yahoo Group.
 #1234879  by jaymac

Since LOTs can be 100 cars -- including buffers -- LCTs being 87 or 88 cars is probably more a local issue.
 #1234886  by newpylong

Dick H wrote:I believe the 87 car limit on coal trains to Bow is
dictated by some sort of operational reason,
which I do not recall whether it is at Bow or
elsewhere. Possibly a power issue on the D&H (CP).
The situation was addressed by long time Dispatcher
G. Smith on the D&H (CP) some years ago on the
D&H Yahoo Group.
I don't think they send a unit into the plant first and then pull the loads through on the balloon track anymore, so you could be right.
 #1591694  by Engineer Spike

When I started on D&H the Bow trains had three modern DC locomotives on the head end. They were SD60, 70, or -8 and-9. They had come up through PA on D&H. A helper was added south of Scranton and pushed up to the tunnel in Belden. The road crew changed in Binghole. Somewhere along the line the trains started coming off the old Erie. I believe that they went via the NY&P. When this change happened the train size was reduced. I'm not sure if it was because the D&H cold not justify calling a helper to just push the dozen miles or so.