Railroad Forums 

• Hampton branch activity tracker

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#630382  by truman

The Portsmouth branch has been plowed, and oddly enough, the Hampton branch has been plowed as far as Breakfast Hill road.
 #782858  by b&m 1566

Has there been any news lately. Did the STB approved Pan Am's file for abandonment?
 #782988  by b&m 1566

I was going off of this post! Had I actually read it correctly, I would have noticed the word "will" and not assumed it said "had" or "did".
Ed Canney wrote:The October 2008 issue of "Rail Pace News Magazine", New England Dispatch section has a story that PAR will file a petition for exemption with the STB regarding abandonment and discontinuance of the 9.83 mile line from Portsmouth NH to Hampton NH.
 #940919  by boatsmate

I am doing some research on this line, How far is the line active? all the way to Hampton and Seabrok or does it end before that?? I tried to see on Google earth, but it is hard to tell what is still in service and what is out of service (B&M Normal track) :)

thanks in advance

Bill
 #940981  by F-line to Dudley via Park

boatsmate wrote:I am doing some research on this line, How far is the line active? all the way to Hampton and Seabrok or does it end before that?? I tried to see on Google earth, but it is hard to tell what is still in service and what is out of service (B&M Normal track) :)

thanks in advance

Bill
Active portion and Pan Am ownership end at Route 101. Don't know if there's an active customer that far, but it's open for business down to that industrial park. State of NH owns the landbanked portion to the MA state line, and then MA owns all on their side. Seabrook nuclear's decommissioning plan specs rail transport of all spent fuel and materials offsite when the plant's operating license expires in 2032 (or sooner...never know how that'll play out now since it's a reactor design similar to Japan's). The line will be reactivated at Class I rating to the plant for the 10-year or longer process of decommissioning, and the state has on-record that if Pan Am were to file for abandonment of the branch that they make a reasonable purchase offer to them or exercise eminent domain.

(If you're speculating at when a serious pitch would ever be made for commuter rail restoration on the corridor, circle that 2032 Seabrook decommission date. If they're taking NRC fed funding to rehab the line for haz-mat transport then this is when their leverage is highest to shoot for more funding on a full-scale permanent restoration.)
 #941389  by jbvb

The bridge over Drakeside Rd. in Hampton has been removed, I'm not sure when. The abutments are still intact.
 #941426  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jbvb wrote:The bridge over Drakeside Rd. in Hampton has been removed, I'm not sure when. The abutments are still intact.
That's probably the exact spot where state ownership starts. Google Satellite shows the ROW nice and clear up to about 100 ft. north of Drakeside Rd. abutting a shed, and pretty sudden transition to overgrown on the back side of that shed. Must be the furthest Pan Am maintains the line for any moves that may still happen or may have happened in the not-too-distant past to the industrial park. Looks like the ROW is in pretty decent shape down there based on the Street View vantage from the Route 27 bridge about 1000 feet up from the end of the line.
 #946488  by MEC407

A week and a half?!
 #948941  by jlarose

I found out today through my involvement with the Rockingham Planning Commission that on June 21st, Pan Am issued notice to the Surface Transportation Board of intent to file for abandonment of the Hampton Branch.

This will be discussed at the MPO/Commission meeting next week, at which time I may have more information to report. I suspect that IF Pan AM is granted an exemption and does abandon the branch, the State of NH would be likely to step in and purchase the right of way. Again, I'll have a better idea of what NHDOT's position is next week.
 #950076  by b&m 1566

I knew it was only going to be a matter of time. Look for the state to purchase the ROW, it will be needed in the future when the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant is decommissioned and torn down. A process from I have been told takes 10 to 20 years to complete.
 #950146  by BostonUrbEx

b&m 1566 wrote:I knew it was only going to be a matter of time. Look for the state to purchase the ROW, it will be needed in the future when the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant is decommissioned and torn down. A process from I have been told takes 10 to 20 years to complete.
When exactly WILL that be? The operating license expires in 2026, but is it likely at all that would end sooner? Is there any chance of getting another license?