Railroad Forums 

• Hampton branch activity tracker

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#369979  by truman

Have you seen any activity on the Portsmouth or Hampton branch? This includes the Newington industrial track and the Portsmouth Naval shipyard, and can apply to sightings of trains, MOW equipment or other activity. Log it here, lets see how busy these tracks really are!

#370091  by NHN503

There was some action on the Portsmouth Branch in Greenland in the last day as the snow banks had been blown out from the train at Rt. 33.

#373544  by Jonny Bolt

There was some motive power down in hampton the other day. my stepdad said he saw them taking a load down to Foss for a swap. he cleans the Infor building during the evening, so he has a pretty good view out back of there. figures i missed it, always do. grrrrrr

i also was out today enjoying the weather, and took my brothers dog out to the marsh. i was inspecting the trash situation, getting an idea of how many we would need for our volunteer clean-up this year, and i checked out the rails and they said Krupp, 1926, made in germany. wow. i also noticed the State DOT (i assume) was down there recently and did some more brush clearing. lots of stuff cleared out.

#374509  by truman

14 March, 1700 hrs. MEC 381 with one load for Foss Mfg.
The crew actually timed out before they could make the delivery. Apparently they tied the train down where it sat at Hampton airport crossing and called a cab. Cab arrived at 1820 hrs.

#386228  by Jonny Bolt

NOt necessarily Hampton Branch, but I was in the mood for some rail-fanning yesterday and I took a ride around to some various crossing along the Hampton Branch, hoping to catch something. I didnt, so I just kept going up to Portsmouth, and I parked out behind Gary's Beverages to stop and stare at some old railcars etc. I also saw some old trackage including a spur that had once ran off into the old B&M building. Pretty cool. Turned around and saw the "Guilford" hy-rail pickup parked.

I then had to drive my mom up to durham late last night cuz my sister was about to give birth, and while traveling along 108 in Newmarket I heard the diesel power chugging in the background. And sure enough I managed to catch a fairly good sized freight going over the crossing heading towards Exeter, a little past midnight I think.

#389161  by truman

MeC 511 has had the honors this week doing the switching in and around Portsmouth. I don't know if it made it down to Hampton.
Unconfirmed reports stated it was pulled off the job to go rescue a dead freight west of Exeter, that was on Monday.

#405608  by truman

MeC #306 had the duty east of Rockingham this week.

#408228  by truman

On Sunday 3 June, RUED dropped MeC 381 at Rockingham for the portsmouth/hampton switcher crew to tool around in. By Wednesday, it had been replaced with MeC 510.
The Rockingham freight house is still standing.

#432125  by truman

MeC #378 has the duty this week on the Portsmouth/Hampton switcher.

#445002  by truman

GRS/ PA trackies sighted in Hampton yesterday about noon. Either they were really lost or just like the roast beef sandwiches.

#454442  by Jonny Bolt

Ok, last night I was going to friends down near North Beach, and I hear that oh so familiar sounds.......diesel pounding the rails and the horn being hit. I almost shat. I hopped in my truck and flew uptown to see if they were servicing Foss Manufacturing. NOTHING! I was like WTF? Damn thing is only allowed to go 5 mph here lol, and it still whooped me. Well, I heard it, loud and clear, and wish I couldve found it. But I didnt feel like chasing it up Rte. 1 , so I just pouted and went home.

This was last night (Tuesday night) around 11:15.

#455164  by rr_explorer

Must have been a ghost train...

#468521  by Somethingorother

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but I finally got to watch a train cross the Sarah Long Bridge yesterday. Around 2 in the afternoon a single engine pulled a DOD caboose and 3 flatcars (which had been sitting in portsmouth yard for a week or so) over into kittery, the engine returned across the bridge about 20 minutes later. Interestingly enough it returned facing the other direction, anyone know if there is a turntable in the Naval Shipyard?

#468585  by NHN503

Somethingorother wrote:I don't know if anyone else caught it, but I finally got to watch a train cross the Sarah Long Bridge yesterday. Around 2 in the afternoon a single engine pulled a DOD caboose and 3 flatcars (which had been sitting in portsmouth yard for a week or so) over into kittery, the engine returned across the bridge about 20 minutes later. Interestingly enough it returned facing the other direction, anyone know if there is a turntable in the Naval Shipyard?
No turntable but several wyes. You can see them and the trackage on Microsoft Virtual Earth using the "birds eye" view

http://tinyurl.com/28rtgj

You can also see a 44 tonner off of Goodrich Ave