Railroad Forums 

• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#408414  by roberttosh

Ok, now I get it :-)

So is the new crossover already in at CPF 201? And when do they expect the siding to be put into service? Thanks!

#408443  by NV290

roberttosh wrote:Ok, now I get it :-)

So is the new crossover already in at CPF 201? And when do they expect the siding to be put into service? Thanks!
All the switches are installed and all the track is in place. But only the old Rigby lead and switch that had been used prior is operational at this time. They still have to spread ballast and tamp the line. Plus they still need to install the home signals at the new interlocking and two new signals at CPF201.

#413043  by hh660

Does anybody have any idea as to when this trackwork will be done and the 5th train will start? This has to be affecting the ridership in a really negative way.

c

#413115  by Dick H

I believe that most of the actual rail and switch work at Scarborough, Wells and Exeter has been completed and they are working this week to finish upgrading the second track at Dover. That said, there must be lots of signal work to be done to get the new interlockings at Scarborough, Wells and Dover into service and get the dispatcher model board at Billerica up and running. There will surely be lots of testing needed before they place all the new power switches in service.

They had upgraded the main track between Dover and Rollinsford to 50 MPH, but downgraded it to 25 MPH today. Must need more work there.

Dick H

#413126  by hh660

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

C

#413181  by wolfmom69

Wonder if they will finally yank the old piece of track up around MP 202, under Black Point Rd.(Rt. 207), which is located at the site of the old Scarborough Beach Station. since they are working on the new passing siding in that area???

Also have often wondered, even as far back as the rehab of the Freight Mainline for the Downeaster, why the passing track(old #2 track) that runs from North Berwick, at a former switch to Hussey Mfg. Co. then for nearly 3 miles to Bragdon Rd. was not "rehabed? Switches have been disconnected for a while, but here is/was what seemed to be a good passing siding?? :wink:

This saw a lot of use in pre Downeaster days.

Bud

#413803  by CN9634

I saw the new track first hand and it looks almost ready to use! Not sure what other upgrades may have been made but the track sure does look nice. There was a lot of ballast hoppers on the West end of Rigby and on the tracks leading to the S. Portland Waterfront. It's nice to see all that equipment there! Actually I noticed a lot of the ex. MKT, MEC hoppers down there.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n253 ... 0_1718.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n253 ... 0_1719.jpg

#413838  by roberttosh

wolfmom69 wrote:Also have often wondered, even as far back as the rehab of the Freight Mainline for the Downeaster, why the passing track(old #2 track) that runs from North Berwick, at a former switch to Hussey Mfg. Co. then for nearly 3 miles to Bragdon Rd. was not "rehabed? Switches have been disconnected for a while, but here is/was what seemed to be a good passing siding?? :wink:

Bud
My guess would be that it probably wasn't in a very strategic location as far as passing siding needs go and at the same time, am almost certain that the siding would still have needed to have been completely rebuilt from the ground up, so in reality, the mere fact that there was an existing junky old siding there really didn't make it any more of a logical place to build one - and in fact, if anything, just the removal costs of the old material alone may have actually made it costlier than starting somewhere else from scratch.

#414328  by NV290

roberttosh wrote:
wolfmom69 wrote:Also have often wondered, even as far back as the rehab of the Freight Mainline for the Downeaster, why the passing track(old #2 track) that runs from North Berwick, at a former switch to Hussey Mfg. Co. then for nearly 3 miles to Bragdon Rd. was not "rehabed? Switches have been disconnected for a while, but here is/was what seemed to be a good passing siding?? :wink:

Bud
My guess would be that it probably wasn't in a very strategic location as far as passing siding needs go and at the same time, am almost certain that the siding would still have needed to have been completely rebuilt from the ground up, so in reality, the mere fact that there was an existing junky old siding there really didn't make it any more of a logical place to build one - and in fact, if anything, just the removal costs of the old material alone may have actually made it costlier than starting somewhere else from scratch.
That siding is actually in better shape then many active tracks on Guilford. They were actually working on getting it ready to put it back in service a few months ago and were doing some work on it and then shortly after it stopped and the idea was scrapped. It's a great location for parking trains as there are no houses nearby. Seems like a huge waste. But then again, that is what Guilford is famous for.

#414510  by roberttosh

NV290 wrote:That siding is actually in better shape then many active tracks on Guilford. They were actually working on getting it ready to put it back in service a few months ago and were doing some work on it and then shortly after it stopped and the idea was scrapped. It's a great location for parking trains as there are no houses nearby. Seems like a huge waste. But then again, that is what Guilford is famous for.
Even the main line needed to be almost completely retied for the DE'er, so I can't imagine that siding was anywhere near "good to go" status and how heavy was the rail on that siding? I still think it would have needed MAJOR upgrading for the DE'er to run on it and while it may indeed be a great place to park an outlawed freight train, that doesn't mean it makes sense logistically for passenger train meets. I may in fact be thinking of a different siding, but the only long one I was ever aware of was one several miles west of the Wells siding and at least 4 or 5 years back, it did not look to be in very good shape - but then again, sounds like they did some work on recently. Hmmm...

#414541  by cpf354

FWIW, most of the "sidings" were described in the ST ETT as main tracks, usually the number 2 main, and almost always had 10mph speed restrictions. I think other than the speed restrictions, that still may be the case, except for the controlled siding at Rockingham Jct. They may have had the same rail weight as the single track portions of the main before the DE upgrade.

#415624  by roberttosh

As info, new type of signals have been installed at Pine Point (Rt 9 overpass). Used to be the old one light type, now there's those fancy three smaller lights on each signal. Not sure what the change was for....

#415686  by NHN503

roberttosh wrote:As info, new type of signals have been installed at Pine Point (Rt 9 overpass). Used to be the old one light type, now there's those fancy three smaller lights on each signal. Not sure what the change was for....

Most likely replaced due to age, and the new Type G "cat style" signals are LED.

#415739  by Rockingham Racer

I went back to the beginning of this thread to get a few questions answered, but I wasn't successful. Could someone please give me a detailed answer about:

1- the siding at Wells; is it being lengthened, is there a new crossover and if so, where?

2- the specifics on the siding at Dover; how long is it, etc.

#415754  by pnolette

They put in a new crossover just east of Wells station.

The Dover siding is being rebuilt and crossovers installed roughly in the middle of the siding.

Peter