Railroad Forums 

• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1487609  by gokeefe

Major progress at Woodford's corner. New crossing signals in place over Forest Ave with greatly improved sight lines for warning lights and signage. Warning lights and cross bucks are suspended over the road on gantries with two pairs facing traffic in either direction on Forest Ave. Crossing approach heading southbound now also protected by traffic signals that should prevent traffic from becoming stuck on the tracks. New gates, lights, and signals all around to include pedestrian gates now upgraded with crossbucks, warning lights, electric bell and longer gate. New curved crossing track panel has been installed along with shaped concrete pavement panels as well as asphalt shimming. Signals were being tested today by signal maintainers. Remaining construction area still needs final layer of pavement. Sidewalks about 75%+ complete. Concrete was being poured as I drove through.
 #1487688  by Dick H

Friday #686 was 43 minutes late leaving Dover. The two connecting buses from Wells
arrived at Dover 8 minutes prior to the scheduled #686 departure. Twelve pieces of
PAR track equipment had cleared well before the departure time. However, the #686
train set left the Dover yard 33 minutes past the departure time. Either the brake test
etc., had issues or the crew was late in being delivered to Dover. The train set had
been parked at the Dover yard since 11:00AM.
 #1487741  by swist

According to AMTRAK.COM, the schedule is back to normal on Monday Oct 8 - I just booked 682 BRK-BON at it's usual times, no connections or busses shown.
It is not good that Downeaster.com does not agree with this. I am not sure when to show up.
 #1487793  by swist

So do I show up when my ticket says (7:30)? It was 7:00 when the bus hop was included.

It also occurs to me that Monday might be a holiday. But even if they are not working that day, the timing makes no sense as there would be slow orders in the construction zone. 7:30-10:50 is the normal full-speed timing of 682.

Or maybe the construction is finished and downeaster.com doesn't know about it.
 #1487802  by Dick H

Here's the "deal" from Amtrak,com
DE trains are running a regular full schedule on Monday 10/8 and Friday 10/12,
They will be on the construction schedule on Tu-We-Th, October 10-11-12
A check on train status from yesterday 10/6, showed the AM trains running
close to schedule. Most of the speed restrictions must have been lifted.
Have a good trip.
 #1487860  by Dick H

Some Updates.

There is a 10 MPH restriction between CPF 243 and at least MP 246 at Dover towards Madbury.
There will be more tie work in that area, this coming week, possibly to as far as MP 248.
There is also at least one ballast train planned for the overall tie replacement area.

PAR will be doing a full reconstruction of the Central Avenue and Chestnut Street crossings in
Dover sometime in the next two weeks. I do not have the exact dates. This will surely have
some scheduling effects on the Downeaster. No updates ON NNEPRA on this as of yet.

I had noted some time ago that the City of Dover has plans to construct a traffic circle at the
corner of Third and Chestnut Streets with the PAR main line running right through the circle. I
am advised that the track will remain in the current location, so that only some of the crossing
protection may have to be relocated. AFAIK, the City has not yet awarded the contract for this
work, so it will likely be in 2019 or later.
 #1488520  by swist

There has been an advisory posted for some time that the Woburn station is bypassed on weekends until the end of the year. The advisory has disappeared from amtrakdowneaster.com and a test booking to Woburn this coming Sunday in fact went though.

Anyone know what's going on? Decided not to do the work, or ended it early? (This would be the MBTA).
 #1488614  by swist

Here's the story per NNEPRA - all things weren't quite in sync until yesterday. WOB is closed on weekends for enough time (at least to end of year) that it was incorporated into the schedule instead of keeping it as a red flag alert. So the new schedule (Oct 16) reflects the completion of the track work as well as the WOB situation, not to mention the closing of Old Orchard until the Spring.
 #1489269  by Dick H

Dover NH, Central Avenue crossing will be fully closed for 3-4 days beginning Tuesday, October 30th
for a complete replacement, Main detour will be via Chestnut Street. Expect big traffic delays.

Also, this Saturday and Sunday, 10/27-28, all Downeaster service between Haverhill and Boston in
both directions will be bused. No Woburn service.
 #1489343  by Dick H

Nothing official yet from NNEPRA, but it appears only trains #680, #682, #685 and #687
will run during the Dover Central Avenue Crossing project on October 30th, 31st, 11/1.
Amtrak.com is showing all other trains as "cancelled".