Railroad Forums 

• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#366390  by CN9634

Someone get pictures! :wink:

#373651  by hh660

Good morning, has antone noticed any progress on the track work in Scarboro, heading towards Rigby?
How far west does the new track extend?
unh web cam shows construction progressing on the second span, they're pumping concrete as I type. It appears to be for the deck span.

s

#377044  by Skullitor

Isn't the new set of DownEaster Trains gonna be in the new schedule?Or is it next year?

#377058  by octr202

Skullitor wrote:Isn't the new set of DownEaster Trains gonna be in the new schedule?Or is it next year?
New schedule still includes the "bustitution" of the late night departure Monday-Friday.

#377060  by Skullitor

octr202 wrote:
Skullitor wrote:Isn't the new set of DownEaster Trains gonna be in the new schedule?Or is it next year?
New schedule still includes the "bustitution" of the late night departure Monday-Friday.
Thanks, maybe in the fall?

#385610  by Finch

Work continues on the bridge in Durham. I assume the excavation going on underneath is for the road project, but when I took this picture some welding was going on near where those guys were standing up top. I'm hoping to eventually see some balast on there.

#396438  by Skullitor

Finch ; NO Picture! :(

#399135  by hh660

Looking at the web cam images of the bridge site, it shows that the new span is complete; base grading has been carried out to the edges of the bridge. The only things left to do are: ballast about 120 feet from either end of the new span and on the new brige itself. The ties would then go on with the rail next. Aligning, and possibly new switches,-can't see if they are installed or not from the web cam. It's getting there.

c

#399239  by Skullitor

The sooner,The better. :wink:

#399661  by Dick H

I did a little research on the Durham track work. At the present time, there are no plans to add a second track at Durham. The state of NH is requiring all bridge construction to make provisions for restoring the second track, that was removed in the 1960's. In addtion to the new bridge at Durham, the new Route #155 overpass in Madbury has been constructed to allow for the second track in the future.

The current Downeaster trackwork is doing projects in Scarborough and Wells, ME, Dover/Rollinsford and Exeter NH. The Exeter project is for replacement of some welded rail that was originally installed by the Boston and Maine Railroad approximately 30 years ago and was not changed in the big Downeaster project in 2000-2001. The other projects are for siding upgrades and additions.

Dick H.

#399721  by Finch

Too bad about the lack of a second track in Durham. At least they're thinking about it for the long term though. And sorry about the picture, I think I must've removed it from photo bucket...plus that site is pretty weird sometimes. But just check out the webcam 4 feed and you'll get a good idea of the state of things. You can't completely tell from the webcam, but there is indeed no track work going on anywhere near the bridge site. Just some new ballast that went in last year (if I remember correctly). BTW, that big building going up right next to the tracks is my dorm next year. I'm in one of the rooms closest to the tracks. :-D

Some new rail near Exeter might be nice. IIRC, things are a bit rough around there in an otherwise nice smooth stretch of track.

#399784  by roberttosh

Any more updates on how far the siding at Scarborough has been extended? Last time someone mentioned it, they said it was as far west as Black Point Road. Thanks!

#399881  by Skullitor

roberttosh wrote:Any more updates on how far the siding at Scarborough has been extended? Last time someone mentioned it, they said it was as far west as Black Point Road. Thanks!
Whats that? 3 or 4 miles or so?
Skull

#399985  by roberttosh

The existing freight lead cut back into the main about a mile and a half West of Rigby at the former Cooks Concrete crossing, but I guess that has now been extended at least out to Blackpoint Road, which I'm guessing is about another mile and a half past Cooks. Would be great if they extended double track across the marsh....

#400132  by Skullitor

roberttosh wrote:The existing freight lead cut back into the main about a mile and a half West of Rigby at the former Cooks Concrete crossing, but I guess that has now been extended at least out to Blackpoint Road, which I'm guessing is about another mile and a half past Cooks. Would be great if they extended double track across the marsh....
Yes, the more double track,THE BETTER! :-D