Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1539887  by gokeefe

fromway wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:07 pmAlso, who does the plant in Mexico?
No idea :wink: but the one in Rumford is also RUPO/PORU with a two trick yard job running seven days a week operated by a contractor (Watco).
 #1539915  by KSmitty

Pan Am brush cut a good chunk of the line today. The brush cutter was working west from MPR 5 around 13:45 this afternoon.
 #1539943  by gokeefe

Did you get the sense this had anything to do with the explosion in Jay or do you think this was scheduled?
 #1540004  by KSmitty

Not really sure how you'd even begin to associate those 2 events.

It's just been long overdue. I know there were spots on the branch where crewmen would literally get hit in the face with branches if they opened the windows. Not from sticking their head out, thats just opening the windows and letting the trees in.
 #1540012  by gokeefe

KSmitty wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:08 pm Not really sure how you'd even begin to associate those 2 events.
None at all. I was just surprised by the timing. I wasn't sure if MoW activities might be on hold for a few days while everything was sorted out. It's actually very reassuring that Pan Am didn't see any reason to suspend MoW work. They've got plenty going on to keep moving forward.
 #1540050  by 690

Why would an explosion at the paper mill have an effect on them brush cutting the track twenty miles away? As mentioned above, the trees literally hit the train, and go into the windows if they’re open. They brush cut some last year when they ran the OCS up the branch, but nowhere near the extent that should be done.
 #1540060  by gokeefe

690 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:59 pm Why would an explosion at the paper mill have an effect on them brush cutting the track twenty miles away?
Given that the railroad tracks run right through it and there's a very active customer on the other side? Potentially quite a lot of need for MoW if there's any track damage. I also wasn't sure how close the milepost is.
 #1540137  by gokeefe

The machines are supposedly undamaged but it remains to be seen if the rest of the plant can support their operation.
 #1540146  by MEC407

From the Portland Press Herald:
Portland Press Herald wrote:It’s already clear, a company spokeswoman said, that without the digester the mill won’t be able to produce pulp “for a significant period.”

The mill’s paper machines, however, were not damaged so its owner, the Pennsylvania-based Pixelle Specialty Solutions, is “exploring options to resume paper machine operations as soon as possible to serve our customers,” said Roxie Lassetter, its human resources manager at the mill. How long it might take to restart is uncertain.

While the State Fire Marshal’s Office and others probe the wreckage, the company is trying to figure what, if anything, it can do to keep operating. With so much equipment ruined, the mill’s prospects, which seemed bright, suddenly look less certain.
Read more at: https://www.pressherald.com/2020/04/16/ ... el=related
 #1540148  by roberttosh

I wonder what a “significant” period is in terms of not being able to produce pulp? Are they talking months, years? Even in an emergency situation like this I can’t imagine that a digester is something you can just order and have designed, built and delivered anytime soon.
 #1540157  by gokeefe

Probably at least 6 - 12 months unless they try to mount some kind of "moonshot" effort.
 #1540173  by Backshophoss

Figure on an Insurance investigation first,with OSHA looking on,before the contractors get to remove the remains.
When they are done,1 year at least to scrap the remains,repair/prep the site to accept a new digester,fabed on site.
after shipment from a factory in pieces.
 #1540228  by CN9634

While unfortunate to lose the pulp side, they will still have the ability to resume paper making activity. The power/utility assets are intact, which is critical to the operation, and the paper machines as well intact. They’ll be able to bring in Market Pulp, probably by rail to minimize costs (only non rail option being Rumford whom I doubt could supply the entire feedstock), and limp along until they decide the next step for the pulp side or generally speaking the mill itself. At least it’s not a greenfield project, so in theory less hurdles to rebuild but it’ll be certainly costly...but given the design and infrastructure of the current arrangement of the plant, I remain optimistic it’ll be viable and they will be able to do something with it long-term.