Railroad Forums 

• What's with Watertown?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#829550  by PBKINGMAN

Here are some pictures taken late this afternoon in the area near the back of the Watertown Mall.[attachment=2]IMG_1060a.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG_1066a.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]IMG_1072a.jpg[/attachment]
 #829553  by PBKINGMAN

A couple more pics from behind the Watertown Mall today.[attachment=1]IMG_1074a.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]IMG_1086a.jpg[/attachment]
 #917346  by F-line to Dudley via Park

PAR would have to try out its new locos that only run on zigzag track through gopher tunnels to get to Watertown now. The left rail right after the Mall grade crossing is almost an inch underground now. Makes the washout zone under the Waterworks overpass look like HSR by comparison. And yet Newlyweds still ain't giving in. I wonder how much longer this stalemate is going to drag on.
 #927653  by doorlatch

I have a history question: Does anyone have a list of the passenger stations/stops that were on the Watertown Branch when it carried passenger traffic? I've heard passenger service ended in the 1930's, but I am curious where the stops were. I believe that were stations at the end of Lexington St. and at Mt. Auburn St. There must have been stops for the Arsenal and in Watertown Sq.

I live near the Watertown Branch in Cambridge and often walk down the ROW. It's pretty messy these days; several good-sized trees (the victims of winter storm damage) have fallen across the ROW just south of Mt. Auburn St.; lots of trash and lots of yard waste from abutting residents who chuck stuff over their back fence. And every time I walk by Newly Weds, there's always at least one truck unloading, and often a second truck waiting in line.

Thanks,

Justin
Attachments:
The current action at Newly Weds.
The current action at Newly Weds.
IMG_1781.JPG (45.73 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
 #927944  by Noel Weaver

The last post raised an interesting question and it prompted me to dig. From a B & M system passenger timetable dated May 25, 1931 here is what I came up with:

Boston, Union Square, Somerville, Cambridge, W. Cambridge, Fresh Pond, Mount Auburn, East Watertown, Union Market, Watertown, West Watertown, Bemis, Bleachery, Newton Street, Waltham. At this time there were 2 outbound trains and 3 inbound trains weekdays and 1 outbound train on Sundays. They ran between Boston and Waltham.
I spent considerable time after checking the above on a bunch of good stuff in this timetable.
Noel Weaver
 #927969  by Tim Mullins

Is that the same track that ran over RT. 128 into Weston, Sudbury ,Wayland and on out to Cinton?...I believe it was the Central Mass. Branch but not sure.
 #927973  by TomNelligan

Tim Mullins wrote:Is that the same track that ran over RT. 128 into Weston, Sudbury ,Wayland and on out to Cinton?...I believe it was the Central Mass. Branch but not sure.
No, it's not. That, as you say, was the Central Mass.
 #928268  by cpf354

Noel Weaver wrote:The last post raised an interesting question and it prompted me to dig. From a B & M system passenger timetable dated May 25, 1931 here is what I came up with:

Boston, Union Square, Somerville, Cambridge, W. Cambridge, Fresh Pond, Mount Auburn, East Watertown, Union Market, Watertown, West Watertown, Bemis, Bleachery, Newton Street, Waltham. At this time there were 2 outbound trains and 3 inbound trains weekdays and 1 outbound train on Sundays. They ran between Boston and Waltham.
I spent considerable time after checking the above on a bunch of good stuff in this timetable.
Noel Weaver
The stations up to and including West Cambridge would have been on the main line. IIRC the branch, or an extension of it, at one time paralleled the main line at Waltham all the way to Roberts. I don't recall what arrangements there were for turning trains; maybe at the old Riverview yard?
 #928291  by Noel Weaver

cpf354 wrote: The stations up to and including West Cambridge would have been on the main line. IIRC the branch, or an extension of it, at one time paralleled the main line at Waltham all the way to Roberts. I don't recall what arrangements there were for turning trains; maybe at the old Riverview yard?
I'll dig out an old employee timetable but not likely today then I can give you a better answer.
Noel Weaver
 #928308  by 130MM

The Watertown Branch did indeed extend all the way to Brandeis-Roberts. The val plan shows the outline of what could only be a roundhouse west of the South Street crossing on the inbound side.

DAW
 #928896  by Noel Weaver

The oldest Boston and Maine employee timetable in my collection is no. 19 dated September 29, 1935. From this timetable I find that the Watertown Branch branched off the main line at West Cambridge which was 4.16 miles from Boston and terminated at Waltham which via Watertown was 10.89 miles from Boston. By this time the passenger service consisted of one round trip local between Waltham and Boston inbound in the AM and outbound in the PM plus a milk train inbound weekdays but not carrying passengers and outbound on Sunday only carrying passengers. Top speed on the Watertown Branch at this time was 40 for passenger and 30 for freight.
Noel Weaver