Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1554427  by PBMcGinnis

backroadrails wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:25 pm Irving has a few companies on Pan Am (Irving in Dixfield which gets pine logs in the winter by rail). I believe they were in negotiations with Pan Am to operate to Enfield to serve Pleasant River once the new siding is completed (NBM is doing the trackwork for the siding as well). Not to mention the fact that they have switched the chipper at keag with EMR crews several times over the past year. I wouldn't say they are only interested in moving their own timber to mills, but yet again since the lease of MNR started, there hasn't been too many places they would be able to expand by purchasing more track. Although I haven't heard anything about a interest in Pan Am, they are heavily invested in other forms of transportation (Sunbury Trucking, as well as owning companies that do bulk commodity shipping, and I think they also own a tug boat and air freight company), it could be a possibility that they would want to expand the empire.
NBSR was contracted to just to the trackwork at Enfield by Pan Am. They are NOT going to be servicing the customer, Pleasant River Lumber. In fact, Pleasant River is a direct competitor of Irving Forest Products. Did you not see Pan Am has been awarded $17 million in grant money to repair the track up to Mattawamkeag? Canadian Pacific is going to end the haulage from Brownville Junction down to Northern Maine Junction. So Pan Am or its successor will be back to a direct interchange with the NBSR.
 #1554496  by backroadrails

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I must wonder, being the consignee, to what extent Irving was "on tap" for damages arising from Megantic. Lest we note, their pockets were "a mite bit deeper" than were Eddie Burkhardt's.

Irving had to pay something like $10 Million as part of the Lac-Megantic disaster. Although I don't believe it was for damages caused, but rather NBSR hauling oil trains they exceeded the weight restrictions on certain bridges.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1554497  by backroadrails

PBMcGinnis wrote:NBSR was contracted to just to the trackwork at Enfield by Pan Am. They are NOT going to be servicing the customer, Pleasant River Lumber. In fact, Pleasant River is a direct competitor of Irving Forest Products. Did you not see Pan Am has been awarded $17 million in grant money to repair the track up to Mattawamkeag? Canadian Pacific is going to end the haulage from Brownville Junction down to Northern Maine Junction. So Pan Am or its successor will be back to a direct interchange with the NBSR.

While this is true, I still cannot see any potential owner keeping this section of the railroad. Even with the grant upgrades, there is a substantial amount of work that will be required to maintain that speed after the work is completed. They could install all the ties and rail they want to on that stretch, but its going to take some serious work to the roadbed and subgrade to maintain the speed they are looking to achieve. And seeing Pan Am's history with these grants (The last grant awarded to upgrade from Waterville to NMJ, the grant to upgrade from Waterville to Cumberland to 40, and the grant they got to replace crossing signals are various crossings east of Waterville) I am not holding my breath on anything. It would look a lot better to a potential buyer if you can say that you are going to be doing upgrades soon, rather than saying none at all.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1554519  by newpylong

Of course they are going to keep that section of the railroad, unless the owner ends up being CP or NBSR (neither likely). Its a non-issue. That is their interchange with NBSR and the Maritimes. Removing that interchange with no viable alternative is a quick ticket to the STB.
 #1554523  by johnpbarlow

FWIW (and that ain't much!), Michael Bostwick, EVP and chief commercial officer, Pan Am Railways will be on a shortline/regional panel at Progressive Railroading virtual RailTrends 2020 to be held November 19-20, along with Eric Jakubowski, VP and CCO, Anacostia Rail Holdings Co.; Stefan Loeb, EVP and CCO, Watco Cos. LLC; Michael Miller, president, North America, Genesee & Wyoming Inc.; and Alin Campian, VP of commercial strategy and yield management, R. J. Corman Railroad Group.

And execs from CP, CN, NS, and CSX will also be attending.

So perhaps the question re: who will be Pan Am's new owner might be discussed...

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... 020--61764
 #1554648  by Safetee

72 shopping days til xmas Holiday Express through the falls east bound at 10:45 with a lot of suits in the dome looking straight ahead.
 #1554716  by bostontrainguy

Okay try to figure this out:

STRANGERS ON THE TRAIN INDICATE PAR SALE ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TRACK THAN EVERYONE EXPECTED. XXX NS, AND XXXXXXX SENIOR EXECUTIVES COMB EAST DEERFIELD AND MECHANICVILLE YARDS.

Shared interests make shared XXXXXX
... it seems that XXX will acquire PAR’s share of PAS, and XXXXXXX will operate the line and branches between Ayer and Mechanicville ...

The above has been posted by Rail & Ports.

Do you think they meant to say Mattawamkeag instead of Mechanicville? Way back on this thread it was suggested that Watco was the one for that.
 #1554719  by MEC407

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:18 pm
... it seems that XXX will acquire PAR’s share of PAS, and XXXXXXX will operate the line and branches between Ayer and Mechanicville ...
If "XXX" = CSX, then this could be the Conrail Shared Assets-style proposal that was alluded to previously. And "XXXXXXX" is the same number of characters as CONRAIL... :-D

So that covers PAR's stake in PAS, but it still leaves PAR itself up in the air...

Can we all take a moment to agree that 2020 is the weirdest year ever?
 #1554722  by Shortline614

After reading the article (assuming what Rails & Ports is true), I primitively congratulate bostontrainguy on his previous prediction.

If I'm reading this right, this is what sounds like would happen: CSX will get 50% ownership in the line from Mechanicsville, NY to Ayer, MA. Conrail Shared Assets New England (CRSANE) will operate the branches along that line. NS or CRSANE will also get trackage rights over CSX from Worchester, MA to Albany, NY. Pan Am east and north of Ayer, MA will either become apart of CRSANE or maybe CN, since they were also on board the executive train.

That makes a lot of sense actually. CSX wants to retain the traffic coming off of Pan Am, NS wants to preserve its interest in PAS, and CN is looking for expansion. Seems like they've learned their lesson from the Conrail split. If you and your rival both want something badly, it's better to compromise than to fight out a costly bidding war.
 #1554725  by newpylong

https://railsandports.com/2020/10/par-s ... way-there/

If this proves true, it's a nice piece of sleuthing. I know several people on that train, and they have no f-ing clue who any of the executives were other than those from Pan Am and no one talked around strangers about the sale.

I don't see it happening for too many reasons to easily list.

Also, that company that owns FEC and Ferromex has been all over the property this week reportedly.
 #1554728  by Gilbert B Norman

Conrail Shared Assets; WOW Didn't see that one coming (if it comes to pass). The existing "Shared Assets" enabled Conrail to stay in business and enabled the roads comprising Conrail and SOO (CP) to have equal access making Local and Interline rates with an industry, located in New York, Philly, and Detroit, as if such industry were on their own road.

Now to extend this concept to Maine with "not exactly" same traffic potential "boggles" me.

Wonder what Timmy thinks of all this. Will he still get his price, or was this just a chance to charter his Executrain so the guys and gals could go leaf peeping (and let's not speculate "and whatever else").

If there is any foundation to this story reported by this maritime publication, I'm sure TRAINS and Railway Age will have more insightful commentary.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1554745  by Hux

Oh great, I guess all the locos will be staying yellow and blue and various colors found in the back of the paint locker.
 #1554748  by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Conrail Shared Assets; WOW Didn't see that one coming (if it comes to pass).
My thoughts as well. Not in a million years would I have thought the "Big C" was ever going to be let out of the "Shared Assets" box.

Quite possibly one of the most unexpected developments in US Class I railroading in the last two decades. I have to admit that given the presence of Mr. McClellan from NS aboard one of the OCS trips it makes sense. He understands the power of Conrail and it's corporate heritage better than almost anyone else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk