Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am MDOT Grant

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1531213  by Hux

Slow boat to China...better off east to St. John
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1531226  by fromway

Why not pass it onto CP and head it North through Canada to the West Coast to be loaded on boats. I don't know how much time or money they could save, but it is interesting.
 #1531256  by gokeefe

My thoughts as well. Also more expensive to rail across the continent.
 #1531273  by R&PEditor

But still the questions: Why is the award to PAS? And what does $200,000 buy ya? The siding in Haverhill is costing >$800,000.
 #1531281  by bostontrainguy

Did they mean PAR maybe? The release does clearly indicate PAS so maybe they know something we don't?

I read elsewhere that there were a few bridges that need updating but will $112,000 do it? Maybe some trackwork along the branch or in the yard?
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1531284  by newpylong

Does GMX (or whatever they call themselves now) still own the warehouse that Tighe uses/used off the Hill yard? If so, that might be your answer. PAs owned it, and the paper has to be transloaded if it's going to Boston.
 #1531553  by 690

Yes, GMX (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) still owns the warehouse off the Ayer yard. There has (had? I haven't been down to Ayer in a few weeks) been a fairly steady flow of old SNC/LRS/RBOX/etc boxcars loaded with wood pulp going in.
 #1531607  by CN9634

Last time I was at GMX/Tighe the roof was about to go.... and there was asbestos all over the place. We were told they were going to demo the building last year but it sounds like that plan changed...
 #1531632  by CN9634

The pictures on that pin are from the new warehouse on Saratoga across the tracks..... don’t rely on people who have tagged themselves on Facebook for accuracy.

I did see a boxcar (one) spotted at GMX last month, looked like a Plate C LRS
 #1531774  by PBMcGinnis

CN9634 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:18 pm Last time I was at GMX/Tighe the roof was about to go.... and there was asbestos all over the place. We were told they were going to demo the building last year but it sounds like that plan changed...
The old GMX Warehouse/US Army Commissary Building is being used again and under lease by a new warehouse operator. Capital improvements were made inside to fix the holes and broken lights. They are handling bales of pulp that arrive in boxcars from the mills in Rumford and Old Town.